Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

linkn

Re: Drivo Erg Mode

Postby linkn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:15 pm

you are not alone, I have the same situation as you and cannot fix it

mike.landmann

Postby mike.landmann » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 am

Here's my advice if you don't want to add the software to change the drivo response times

Ignore the Zwift instruction to reduce or increase the power in erg mode. It is nonsense to recieve this instruction in erg mode anyway.

If you are moving to a higher power section, don't expect an immediate increase in resistance at the start of a section. Just keep pedaling at your normal cadence and the resistance will gradually increase over the first 5 seconds.

Likewise at the end of a section, don't expect the resistance to decrease immediately. Keep at your normal cadence and the resistance will steadily drop. If you do reduce your effort immediately the section ends then you will find you can't turn the pedals.

If you are doing one of those 10 second maximums on Zwift, you have two choices. First choice is to flip to non erg mode on the companion app for that 10 seconds. Second choice is to build to your maximum in the first 5 seconds and keep it going for 5 seconds after the segment has ended.
The disadvantage of the second choice is that you probably will not get a star, not very important as you are still doing the effort. If you really want the star them switching erg off and on is the way forward.

It does get a bit more complicated on Zwift group rides and races. At times you might find you want to speed up to catch up with the group in front, the first 5 seconds of effort doesn't do very much, and if you keep the power on you may overshoot the bunch in front. The answer is to back off the power a bit before you meet the next group.

Actually all smart trainers do have a delay like the Drivo, most of them take a few seconds less than the Drivo to catch up with the resistance changes though.

humphuk

Postby humphuk » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:16 am

Thanks Mike ...... I was struggling with the 10s bursts in Zwift - and using the ERG mode change in the Zwift companion. Your observations are useful - as we are all hunting for a solution - but sometimes you just have to suck it up - and get on with it. (leaving us to consider "fitness for purpose" for the Drivo and structured training).

The OTHER ERG issue I have in Zwift is that during an hour session - during a constant segment the resistance slowly drops off for about 20 seconds .... and then recovers slowly? Nothing I am doing (no change of cadence etc) and I am running over ANT+ with the ANT+ dongle near the Drivo.

Is this a known "feature"?

I will check to see if it occurs over BT - and on other platforms

mike.landmann

Postby mike.landmann » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:05 pm

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread...

I recently applied the JSON file to my Drivo 1, mostly because when racing on RGT it was hard to stay in the draft without surging ahead then dropping behind the riders in front.

It seems to have made quite a lot of difference and also sorted out the slow erg response.

I haven't found any downsides.

stuart.hendry76

Postby stuart.hendry76 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:01 am

Out of interest, have you tried ERG sessions in the small chainring?

I have a Drivo Mk1 and was having the same issue with power fluctuating around the required level on ERG workouts. I read on another forum to use the small chainring and this works perfectly. I also changed power smoothing to 10 using the Elite App.

It takes around 10 seconds to reach the level required and holds it there within 2-3 watts as the cadence fluctuates, which is of course realistic as it's impossible to hold the exact same level of watts over an extended period.
I prefer it to ramp over 10 seconds or so to the high watts level on an interval so it's not like hitting a wall.

Added bonus that it levels the amount of wear on the chainrings as people spend most time in the large chainring in real riding.

From a workout I did on Zwift earlier.

Drivo.jpg
Drivo.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 12462 times

keir.stiegler

Postby keir.stiegler » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Just to add my experience:

I reached out to Elite support via the myETraining program. Various trainer details were automatically included in my request, so I didn't have to do a separate training session. I heard back from Elite within 24 hours, I sent the serial number via email, and they sent me a new .json file to upload via the Upgrado app. I used an Android phone and the upload went smoothly. I actually went through the upload three times because it happened so quickly and with so little feedback in the app that I almost didn't think anything happened. However, as soon as I started riding the trainer, it became very clear that new firmware had executed correctly as the Drivo responsiveness was VASTLY IMPROVED!! Like others had noted, prior to the update, it would take nearly 10 seconds to achieve the target power in a Zwift workout, and changing cadence (e.g. from 85 to 115) either had to be done 20 seconds prior to or 10 seconds after the target power increase, or else the Drivo would swing wildly above and below the target power. After the new firmware, target power changes happened in <5 seconds, regardless of cadence! The steadiness of the trainer in holding a target power also seems to have been improved, which I was happy to see. I could also hear the trainer motor adjusting far more frequently during my warm-up.

I think 10 second intervals are much more doable now. 30/30 intervals are a piece of cake (from the trainer perspective, anyway...) and anything longer is very steady, varying no more than 10% or 30w at the absolute maximum (which is rare) and typically staying within +/-5w of the target power if my cadence is smooth enough.

I would absolutely reach out to Elite if you find this thread and are disappointed with the Drivo's responsiveness, because the firmware they sent me is 100x better! It almost feels like a new trainer again!

sonykogin

Postby sonykogin » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi

So far, I have not heard back from Elite support team. Upgrado app is also not helping as it shows "Up to Date" when my firmware is version 22. Many users report firmware 58 in their Drivos.

So your response about reaching support via E-Training app perks my interest. I looked around for ways to reach support via E-Training app, no luck. Could you help point where the "support" link is?

hernandez_christ

Postby hernandez_christ » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:56 pm

Sony kogin please check there https://support.elite-it.com/fr/ticket

michael.j.brady

Postby michael.j.brady » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:02 pm

This whole thread has been super interesting. I've just raised a ticket with support through the app (settings > general > contact us (at the bottom)) and hope this will resolve the problems described previously in the thread.

mgfjd

Postby mgfjd » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:37 pm

keir.stiegler wrote:Just to add my experience:

I reached out to Elite support via the myETraining program. Various trainer details were automatically included in my request, so I didn't have to do a separate training session. I heard back from Elite within 24 hours, I sent the serial number via email, and they sent me a new .json file to upload via the Upgrado app. I used an Android phone and the upload went smoothly. I actually went through the upload three times because it happened so quickly and with so little feedback in the app that I almost didn't think anything happened. However, as soon as I started riding the trainer, it became very clear that new firmware had executed correctly as the Drivo responsiveness was VASTLY IMPROVED!! Like others had noted, prior to the update, it would take nearly 10 seconds to achieve the target power in a Zwift workout, and changing cadence (e.g. from 85 to 115) either had to be done 20 seconds prior to or 10 seconds after the target power increase, or else the Drivo would swing wildly above and below the target power. After the new firmware, target power changes happened in <5 seconds, regardless of cadence! The steadiness of the trainer in holding a target power also seems to have been improved, which I was happy to see. I could also hear the trainer motor adjusting far more frequently during my warm-up.

I think 10 second intervals are much more doable now. 30/30 intervals are a piece of cake (from the trainer perspective, anyway...) and anything longer is very steady, varying no more than 10% or 30w at the absolute maximum (which is rare) and typically staying within +/-5w of the target power if my cadence is smooth enough.

I would absolutely reach out to Elite if you find this thread and are disappointed with the Drivo's responsiveness, because the firmware they sent me is 100x better! It almost feels like a new trainer again!

Would you mind sending us the link to the file?

Return to “Drivo & Drivo II”