Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

andrews

Re: Drivo Erg Mode

Postby andrews » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 pm

My advice would be return it while you still can

James72

Postby James72 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:21 am

Get onto support if you want access to the Beta Android App. I went through the process on my Drivo and ERG is so much better. Resistance changes are faster and settles quicker.

andrews

Postby andrews » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm

Not much use if like me you don’t own an android device. I have returned my drivo for a refund after 5 months of getting nowhere.

mike86

Postby mike86 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 pm

I've just order it after having Tacx Neo, but based on the issue that is going on with ERG for like 3 years now (?) it looks like perhaps I should cancel the order and order instead Tacx Neo 2.

No point getting device that is dump instead of being smart ;)

How many people got the access to the android tool ?

I've order it to do ERG training and if this cannot adjust the power within 1-2 seconds that it would be pointless to even accept the delivery.

Could any one confirm if
A) Getting access to the tool is as simple as sending request to the Elite support
B) After tweaking settings the Drivo can be used for ERG training

At this moment I won't accept it as I really don't see a point to having faulty device (ERG is one of the most important features), especially after company doesn't even care to make the tool publicly available (not mentioning about lying in specification, no word that it takes up to 20 seconds to adjust ERG).

mike86

Postby mike86 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:51 am

I've read some posts on forum.

I've cancelled my order and taking Tacx Neo 2.

I already called DPD to leave a note for a courier that he don't have to bother with loading the parcel.

It looks like the issue with ERG is for years, without any response, dozens of issues on this forum without response either.

Seems like company is winding up, as can't see why they would ignore clients and simple issues that could be fixed.

I guess they are slowly winding up and Drivo 2 was the last effort to take few $$$ for shareholders. Not mine $$$. :lol: (well after the parcel return to the Halfords and I'll get a refund ;))

I've created ticket but don't think I will get any response, also it seems that in a sim mode it is also slow to response.

So I was after a smart TT not imbecile TT :twisted: Thought that Drivo would be a nice replacement for Neo, but looks like stepper motor fried this design (which is weird as I have in my garage CNC and stepper motors are not only super fast but also accurate (however controller board can cost easily $500 per motor, so I guess they've cheap out for some Chinese controllers for NEMA motors)

andrews

Postby andrews » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:05 pm

Good choice. I went for the neo 2 and it just works.
As well as no erg mode issue, it also has a sensible base resistance when cycling in Zwift. With the drivo I would often spin out during harder efforts, not the case with the Neo.
I was surprised elite weren’t more helpful in sorting out the problems I was having. The drivo could be really good but unfortunately has far too many issues for me.

humphuk

Postby humphuk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 pm

I moved from the Tacx Flux to the Drivo. The Drivo makes a bit more noise when running normally - but the Flux was just too fragile (I had two that failed). I did some undemanding ERG work tonight - the unit was quite steady - but my numbers appeared to vary more than on the Tacx. (I say appeared ... as I havent tried to analyse it). Like others however - if Elite dont give some timeline to address the ERG mode for more challenging circumstances - then I will be looking for excuses to take it back. Today - there is no reason - though I do hear some clunking when she spins down after a session. Does it bother me? No. Could I use it as an excuse to chop it in? Yes

mike86

Postby mike86 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:01 am

andrews wrote:Good choice. I went for the neo 2 and it just works.
As well as no erg mode issue, it also has a sensible base resistance when cycling in Zwift. With the drivo I would often spin out during harder efforts, not the case with the Neo.
I was surprised elite weren’t more helpful in sorting out the problems I was having. The drivo could be really good but unfortunately has far too many issues for me.

Thanks, Neo2 should arriving at my door step Tomorrow.

I've contacted the support, and to be honest I would say that reply was helpful. They've admit that there is an issue with a small % (how small ? are there any Drivo with fully working ERG mode (by fully I mean within 2-4 seconds adjustment). I've watched some new reviews of Drivo and they still claimed that ERG is not the fastest, even in a simulation).

If you want to buy Drivo then here is the reply from Elite in regards of getting access to beta android app (they haven't mentioned it but it was the main question).

Perhaps will help you to make a right decision.

Regarding your request:
Please take note that we have sold thousand of Drivo and the people that claim ERG Mode issues are the minority, most of them after some test we have required are caused by the fact that they are doing ERG Mode training in an incorrect mode (or rather they do not keep a steady cadence or they have a very unstable speed during the power change)

After we gave the advice to keep more stable the cadence and the speed most of them have fixed they ERG Mode issue

In fact the response of the trainer on ERG Mode is highly influenced by the way you are pedaling, it ,means if your speed/cadence is not so steady and vary a lot the trainer need more time to adapt to your pedaling, if instead you use a steady and less vary speed/cadence the trainer is able to react in a quick wmode to each target change

We believe so that if you follow our suggestion no changes are needed on your trainer, please take note that before to sold it we have tested the trainer with lots of different riders (from Pro riders to amateur ones) and in all cases the reactivity of the trainer was very good

Anyway if you believe after purchasing the trainer that you have ERG Mode issues just contact us so we can analyze better the situation in your case

We remain at disposal
Regards
Andrea B.

Anyway Drivo was on sale for £650, Tacx Neo2 £1006, so there is some difference, however to be honest at the moment when I was ordering the Drivo, I wasn't aware of Neo 2 release :oops: I think that couple hundreds extra is well worth better quality training (and it is hard to build up without ERG, at least for me). I've started from some cheap machines and definitely the Neo was the best through out all machine that I've tested in last 2 years (Tacx / Elite / Kickr / Bkool).

Well it seemed like Drivo could be an interesting choice, but unfortunately it seems like it is hard to beat neodymium drive (however as I've said before NEMA motors are extremely quick and can move a lot within extremely short period of time with extremely high accuracy, so I don't think Drivo is slow because they've selected stepper motor (unless they wen't with some utter rubbish for £3 instead £25 (those for £25 are fast and accurate enough for precise machining up to 0.05 - 0.1mm)).

andrews

Postby andrews » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:46 am

You could always buy the drivo and see how you get on. You can return it if you’re not happy with it. There was definitely something wrong with mine.

sergey.maximenko

Postby sergey.maximenko » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I own Drivo from 2018. Suffer delays both in ERG and SIM mode from the start. It takes around 5 to 7 sec to reach requested power at steady cadence. Using freeride mode in Zwift shows the same picture - first 3 sec when hitting a 10% ramp the trainer is just idling or doing minimal changes, then it awakes 'OMG, I should've changed the resistance' and it take 4 sec more to finally reach target resistance.

I found the algorithm Elite support uses to be:
1. Request 100-200-100-300-100-350 test in csv from the customer.
2. Was the cadence stable?
3. If not, blame the customer and his unsteady cadence.
4. If cadence was stable, blame radio interference.

I complained Elite on delays then they asked test result and just blamed some magic 'interference'. Saying that it is not their trainer being slow but 'the trainer receive the command with some delay (so the issue is more from interferences)'.
I'm an IT person and already tried all combinations outside the trainer to control it - I've two notebooks with different platforms (Mac/Windows), extension cables, two different ANT+ dongles, Android phone with built-in ANT+, Garmin Edge 520. I am able not only to place ANT+ dongle close to the trainer but switch channels on my WiFi router or turn 2.4G off completely. Or move it to other apartments. What is that kind of voodoo interference that customer isn't able to fix?

Return to “Drivo & Drivo II”