Speed distortion by using Kura...

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

jason-cys

Speed distortion by using Kura...

Postby jason-cys » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am

Hello Sir,

I am fresh user of Kura, and afraid if there is any parameter was setted in error then causing the problem below.
I selected a route from myrealvideo, and this route is near my location so I rode in real world many times.
But in e training by using Kura, I found the speed is much higher than true, around double.
So I doubt there should be some parameter incorrectly.
Could please help to confirm ?

Is weight including bicycle or rider only ?
Circumference value is 604.
Power is around 180W avg., slope is 6% avg. Then speed showed 20km/hr. (my weight is 74kg)
Obviousley, i am unable to output that speed under power 180w.

Thanks in advance
Jason

Elite Admin S

Re: Speed distortion by using Kura...

Postby Elite Admin S » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 am

Hi Jason

The problem is that you're using wrong circumference value (604 is not possible). You should have a value of around 2000-2100mm.

Please measure the circumference of your wheel following these steps:
https://elitesrl.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... cumference

This will solve the problem ;)

jason-cys

Postby jason-cys » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Hello,

I have tried to set circumference to 2096.
But unfortunately, While I entered 2096 then it still showed 611.08.
Why the numbers I entered always were divided by 3.43!
Please help, and thanks!
Jason

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 am

Hi Jason

Ok, so it is correct. Sorry, I thought you've inserted 604 when asked, I didn't understand you meant the modified value.
So, the speed value should be correct.

Please notice that Kura is not an interactive trainer, so you don't have to do a comparison between the real road behavior on a specific track.
The trainer hasn't got a resistance control, you decide the effort by working on your gear and cadence.

To understand if speed is correct, please do a power training with a costant power value (for example 150W) for 1-2 minutes.
Then please tell me the speed you had and the gear you were using. I'll let you know if speed is correct.

jason-cys

Postby jason-cys » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Hello Sir,

Understood! Many thanks for your reply.
For your reference, 19km/hr @ 150W, 34/19
Please help to check, thanks.

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:20 am

Hi

I confirm you that the speed value is correct. The trainer is working properly in my opinion.
I suggest you to not use the videocourses for your trainer, which is not a simulator, and concentrate on power trainings.

Also, take a look at the following document. It refers to Turbo Muin and not Kura, but the concept of the two trainers is the same:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4rZv ... 5JMlk/view

Regards

jonathoncrompton1970

Postby jonathoncrompton1970 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 pm

I have just set my Kura up on the App and on my Garmin using wheel circumstance 2070 as suggested. On the App, 2 mins spinning recorded: 18km/h ave speed @ 160w & 67rpm in 38 x 21 gear. Have I set it up correctly? Also, I believe the Kura comes with free app membership? How do I find the code/token I need to activate my membership?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 am

Hi Jon

Inside the box of the trainer you should find a coupon with a lifetime subscription for the app. If you can't find it, please contact our customer care at real@elite-it.com and ask for it.

About the Kura, if you use the Garmin you have to insert the circumference value / 3.43 (in your case: 2070/3.43 = 603), as you can see in this table:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4rZv ... 1tUzg/view

gootchio

Postby gootchio » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 am

Hi,
The idea of reporting speed as a function of rotation on smart trainers is weird. As was said resistance curve is different than any real world scenario. Unnatural freewheeling doesn't help also.

Why not change it and use function of power where gradient and driver/bike data are parameters?

I've checked on http://www.cyclingpowerlab.com/PowerSpeedScenarios.aspx speeds for my most common training avg power assuming 0°, no wind and ride on tops and by trial and error tweaked circumference to achieve similar results.
Now I have better feeling when watching results on Strava or Endomondo.

To be clear - correction factor is different depending on power that one achieves.

Elite could do this in firmware and as a curve (function) not as single point like I did.

fernandezdav

Postby fernandezdav » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Elite Admin S wrote:Hi Jon

Inside the box of the trainer you should find a coupon with a lifetime subscription for the app. If you can't find it, please contact our customer care at real@elite-it.com and ask for it.

About the Kura, if you use the Garmin you have to insert the circumference value / 3.43 (in your case: 2070/3.43 = 603), as you can see in this table:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4rZv ... 1tUzg/view

Which is the value in ELITE TURNO?

Return to “Kura”