Direto w/ 11 speed Ultegra

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

bmac1466

Direto w/ 11 speed Ultegra

Postby bmac1466 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Hello,

I bought a Direto back in March, and I use an 11-speed Ultegra cassette (11-28T, same as my road bike). According to the manual and various posts online covering the Direto, I installed the cassette without any spacers.

However, earlier today I was going to take off the cassette to give it a thorough cleaning, and I noticed that I was able to move the cassette a bit along the hub; I can move it about 2-3mm along the hub, but the cassette is firmly held together.

I have experienced, while only a few times, that the chain sometimes skips during a training session. Now I am thinking this is because the cassette is not correctly installed.

Have I installed it improperly? Could/should I need to use the included spacers after all?

Elite Admin S

Re: Direto w/ 11 speed Ultegra

Postby Elite Admin S » Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 am

Hi

Usually 11-speed cassette doesn't require any spacer, but it also depends on the model.
In your case, it could be necessary to add a spacer (the cassette must be fixed without any play)
Try it and let us know if the problem on the chain is solved.

D3vilsim

Postby D3vilsim » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:38 pm

bmac1466 wrote:Hello,

I bought a Direto back in March, and I use an 11-speed Ultegra cassette (11-28T, same as my road bike). According to the manual and various posts online covering the Direto, I installed the cassette without any spacers.

However, earlier today I was going to take off the cassette to give it a thorough cleaning, and I noticed that I was able to move the cassette a bit along the hub; I can move it about 2-3mm along the hub, but the cassette is firmly held together.

I have experienced, while only a few times, that the chain sometimes skips during a training session. Now I am thinking this is because the cassette is not correctly installed.

Have I installed it improperly? Could/should I need to use the included spacers after all?

Hi, mind to share how u resolve the problem? Thanks

nickc3

Postby nickc3 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi, did you get it to work.

My shimano 105 doesn't shift perfectly on a few gears. I was thinking of toying around with tightness of skewer.

I installed with no spacer.

steve575m

Postby steve575m » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi,

I have the same issue.

I use a 105 cassette and it is really noisy and cannot use all the gears. I also tried with the cassette on my bike which an Ultegra but same issue.

Anyone with a solution to this issue?

Regards

Steve

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:24 am

Guys,

If you are having with the mounting of your cassette with the standard instructions, you can:
1. contact your trusted mechanic to understand if it's necessary to add/remove a spacer
2. contact the customer care at myetraining@elite-it.com with some photo/video that explain the situation

Unfortunately, often there are differences in cassette, frames etc. and it's not easy to make a standard documentation that can cover all the cases.

Allan Jensen

Postby Allan Jensen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:34 am

hi.

I also have an Ultegra 6800 groupset on my Canyon bike.

I installed the casette without any spacers.

I bought a new casette for the bike to have a casette for both tha trainer and the bike for next spring/summer

Casette delivered on bike (canyon Endurace CF 9.0 from 2016) is Ultegra 6800 (11-32T) for all components -> This is now on the Elite Direto
Casette bought for future use 2019 bike seacon is the Ultegra R8000 series as this was recently released in a 11-30T edition

I did notice though that when installing my new casette that they are ever so slightly different in total width (looked from above if that makes any sense) :-) (R8000 vs 6800)

So a minor ajustment to the rear derailure indexing is needed, but only a slight ajustment. I use no spacers at all

I guess it would be neat impossible to have all casettes on all frames just fit without any munir setup. I find I also usually need to ajust the indexing during the season as cabling streaches ect.

Hope this info could be helpfull for some.

ferrystoffer

Postby ferrystoffer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:32 pm

I have the same issue. With everything installed in the right way i cannot shift to my smallest cog. this is caused by the bending of the rear derailleur pad by spanning the skewer which moves the jockey wheels to far inside.
more people have to same issue?

Rubenvanaa

Postby Rubenvanaa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:41 am

Yes with my brand new direto, seems to be no fix as of yet

h2o

Postby h2o » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

ferrystoffer wrote:I have the same issue. With everything installed in the right way i cannot shift to my smallest cog. this is caused by the bending of the rear derailleur pad by spanning the skewer which moves the jockey wheels to far inside.
more people have to same issue?

I have purchased a Direto smart trainer based on glamorous reviews (and bang for your buck considerations) for my wife's bike (Bianchi infinito CV2) and the trainer had the same problem you describe. Shifting from low to high speed (big cog to small cog) was very noisy and skipping gears because of the slightly bending of the derailleur hanger when the quick release skewer was tighten. For a full week I tried all kind of spacer combinations for the 11 speed cassette (taken from the wheel where worked perfectly) without resolving the issue. I was ready to return the trainer but I decided to try other bikes on it before doing so in order to make sure they have the same issue. Surprisingly my giant TCR advanced ultegra worked flawlessly with the trainer's cassette. I decided to replace the quick release on direto with a true axle adapter and try the wife other bike. The Scott Addict gravel also worked flawlessly with the trainer even though the bike's native cassette is 11-32 while the cassette installed on the trainer is 11-25.

I looked closely to Bianchi Infinito CV2 derailleur hanger area and I noticed that the frame has less material in it (less rigid). More so when the quick release skewer tightens, the pressure is distributed in the three arms converging in that point, two arms are the chain-stay and seat-stay and the third arm converging towards the skewer point is the derailleur hanger itself. In contrast the other bikes Giant and Scott have the frame designed so that the skewer distributes pressure in the stays but not in the derailleur hanger arm which is somehow isolated and unaffected by skewer tightening.

In other words the problem is more likely related to bike frame design than the trainer design and certain frames might not work well on a direct driver trainers regardless of brand.

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”