Drivo Erg Mode

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

trazor

Re: Drivo Erg Mode

Postby trazor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:07 pm

kylris@live.com wrote: You really need to fix this issue to make this trainer on par with the Wahoo KICKR and Tacx Neo.

Quoted for truth!

mgfjd

Postby mgfjd » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Have you tried using the drivo in a 39-21? I believe the drivo trainer because of the flywheel size might have issues over/under compensating with high flywheel inertia.

I was frustrated with the trainer until I started doing my erg workouts with a 39-21.

I have been happy with the experience whether the workout includes FTP, VO2, or Sprint intervals.

My VO2 workouts are around 400W.

trazor

Postby trazor » Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 pm

I did a structured workout last night and was a bit stressed about the values shown by my Drivo. I understand that the 10-20 watts you are talking about is because the Drivo samples quickly and accurate, but this was the graph I got from a segment (ERG Mode) set to 230w over 3 minutes:

Minimum 192w, max 286w but average was 233w which is within what is expected. The variance is still a whooping 94w.

Is this still working as intended?

raphnou

Postby raphnou » Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am

Hello,

It's curious we noticed the same things about the Direto :roll:

The discussion is here ===> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=852

hi-meh

Postby hi-meh » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I've had the all new Drivo II trainer for a few weeks now and realize that the problems with the original Drivo still exist with the new Drivo II.

My Drivo II issue is that during an ERG workout either in Trainerroad or My Etraining PC software, if I change cadence during the workout (i.e. from 90 to 110 rpm) the Drivo II will not reduce the resistance in response to the new cadence. What ends up happening is that my target power in this example is 150 watts, once I go from 90 to 110 rpm, the power jumps to 230+ Watts and stays up there. I patiently wait for it to drop, but it never does.

Setup:
Trainer: Drivo II
Software: Trainerroad and My Etraining APP on Desktop PC (Win7)
Ant Plus Dongle with extension cable
Performed Calibration with MyEtraining mobile app

Resolution attempts:
I tried changing the power smoothing from default of 2 to 10 or 5 within the My Etraining software and this does not help with the above issue.

I then plugged in my 2018 Kickr Core and confirmed this problem does not happen with the exact same configuration. The kickr core responds quickly to chances in cadence by adjusting resistance to the desired target power in ERG mode.

The plan for me when I ordered the Drivo II shortly after receiving my kickr Core was to send back my 2018 Wahoo Kickr Core for a refund thinking that a I'd enjoy the Drivo II more as it should be a superior higher end unit. Considering that there is still no way to update firmware for Elite trainers and confirming that the Kickr Core does not have this issue and Elite has not addressed it which was brought to their attention previously with the Drivo in this very thread, I think I'm going to send back the Drivo II instead.

The second issue I have with the Drivo II which I've also seen mentioned by forum members is that the initial resistance is way too high. This makes it a hassle to dismount the bike from the trainer when it was left in a gear higher up on the cassette having to try to move the pedals by hand with such high resistance to shift into the small gear is less than ideal.

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:23 am

@hi-meh

My Drivo II issue is that during an ERG workout either in Trainerroad or My Etraining PC software, if I change cadence during the workout (i.e. from 90 to 110 rpm) the Drivo II will not reduce the resistance in response to the new cadence.

I'm not sure to have understood.
You have to check what happens to speed, not cadence. Resistance is calculated to match the set power at the actual speed (not cadence).
If you ride at 20km/h, you'll have the same power with any cadence.
If you increase your rpm and speed increases as well, then power will change (and so, resistance).

The second issue I have with the Drivo II which I've also seen mentioned by forum members is that the initial resistance is way too high. This makes it a hassle to dismount the bike from the trainer when it was left in a gear higher up on the cassette having to try to move the pedals by hand with such high resistance to shift into the small gear is less than ideal.

The initial resistance is high due to the heavy flywheel. Using a lighter flywheel could improve this point, but then the pedaling feeling will be less smooth and realistic during normal training. That's why we decided to use a heavy flywheel and we suggest to use a light gear at the beginning of a training session.

hi-meh

Postby hi-meh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Elite Admin S wrote:@hi-meh

My Drivo II issue is that during an ERG workout either in Trainerroad or My Etraining PC software, if I change cadence during the workout (i.e. from 90 to 110 rpm) the Drivo II will not reduce the resistance in response to the new cadence.

I'm not sure to have understood.
You have to check what happens to speed, not cadence. Resistance is calculated to match the set power at the actual speed (not cadence).
If you ride at 20km/h, you'll have the same power with any cadence.
If you increase your rpm and speed increases as well, then power will change (and so, resistance).

If I increase cadence from 90 to 110, of course speed will increase. If we look at the definition of ERG mode explained by Trainer road, it gives an example scenario which is identical to the one I gave you that I experienced.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-u ... -Explained

"Say your gear selection yields 20mph but you then change your spin to 100rpm but remain in that same gear. Your smart trainer will readjust in order to return the resistance to 160 watts after a couple seconds - some trainers adjust more quickly than others.

Even though your speed is now 24mph, you're still only working at 160 watts. Even if you change your spin to 70rpm, the same thing happens - a quick readjustment to keep you at 160w even though you're now pedaling at 14mph. All of this happens in that one gear you've been in the entire time."

The Drivo II is failing to keep power on the set target power in response to cadence/speed changes in ERG mode. It does not change the resistance back down to the target power.

PhilSJones

Postby PhilSJones » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:29 am

OK, I too am having problems with Erg mode. Rather than complaining I would like an explanation of how I can follow such a workout and set up the trainer to follow the workouts I need. ( See there is a much more extensive piece on the problem here than in the Direto section - hence my posting.

I have read through all these posts here, and your responses, but am still confused as to how I use this Trainer in the way I need to. Can you please explain how I set up the trainer (Which must be able to do this). Also How I am supposed to pedal in a way that gets the correct training effect.

The problem is I am training for the Track and need explosive sprint power whilst moving and from a standing start.

I am using Zwift, in the 4Wk FTP BuIlder, in erg mode. This workout is an example of what I am trying to follow. https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/4wk-f ... tp-booster see "Day 1 HIT 80% FTP #1" (There are many similar on this page)

When I try to change power and cadence to follow the programme, for instance from 141W at 80 to 414W at 105, it takes around 10-15 seconds to respond to the new power setting, by which time the interval is finished. The problem is sometimes these sets are only 10 or 30 seconds long. My trainer (A Direto - but it is the same as a Drivo for this) is set initially to 2, but I also tried 5, same problem. Day two is another example. The power is only settling by the time I am 20 seconds into the 45 second interval, by which time I have lost the explosive sprint effect.

When I look at my average power for these short intervals I am way off the target amount. Perhaps 260W rather than 400.

So how do I:

1) Successfully follow such a program and series of changes to power and cadence. Especially when the high intensity value is of short duration

2) Should I not change cadence and wait for the power to change?

3) Should I use a different program to Zwift?

4) I should be able to follow a programme like this, shouldn't I?
a) How do I configure the turbo,
b) the settings and
c) the choice of software
to enable me to do these sort of sessions.

That is the real question. Please help. Because at the moment I am baffled....

Otherwise I will have to give up on this and try a different make.

Thanks

ebersohn.ruan

Postby ebersohn.ruan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:35 am

Hi,

I just bought the drivo as my tacx vortex died on me. After calibration and using the app I set power to 100w and start pedalling staying in the same gear and keeping cadence at 90. The power reads 140w. After 1 minute I set power to 150w trainer keeps power at 140w. After 1 minute I set power to 200w. Still trainer keeps me at 140w. After another minute I set the trainer to 250w and the trainer successfully sets power to 250w after 1 min I set to 300w and trainer successfully sets power to 300w. I used my P1 pedals to confirm power accuracy and was spot on. Why will my trainer not set power when I am below 250w?

I also setup a workout to copy the above and got my Garmin 520 to drive the trainer. I had the exact same result. Then using Bluetooth and zwift I setup the same workout for the same result. Please help is my trainer faulty?

ebersohn.ruan

Postby ebersohn.ruan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi Elite support team. I have just recieved my new directo. Having completed the setup and calibration as instructed I performed my first test of the directo. Using the app I set power to 100w. The trainer kept power at around 140w. I increased the power at 1 minute intervals by 50W. the trainer kept the power at 140w until I set it to 250w. At this point you could hear the unit adjust and the power was output was correct. Going to 300w was also ok and going to 350w was fine too.

I repeated the same test in Zwift (First in bluetooth mode and then in Ant+) using a structured workout I put together. I also did the same test using my garmin 520. All the tests gave the same result. It seems that the trainer just wont set power accurately until I set it to over 250w. Please help.

Return to “Drivo & Drivo II”