direto erg mode in zwift

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

ckyr

direto erg mode in zwift

Postby ckyr » Sun May 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi.
I am using my direto paired with zwift using bluetooth and I have issues with erg mode. The trainer has issues stabilizing the resistance; when resistance is increased and wattage go over what is specified in that segment, it is reduced, then the software is asking to keep the power higher, resistance goes up again, then goes down, etc, it is not really stabilizing.
Any idea why that is? How can I fix it?
Thank you

Elite Admin S

Re: direto erg mode in zwift

Postby Elite Admin S » Mon May 07, 2018 8:30 am

Hi

Please open the advanced settings in my e-training app or software.
Look for the power smoothing option and increase the value (put it at 10), then try again.
Let me know if the situation improves.

Regards

raphnou

Postby raphnou » Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 am

Hello,

Same problem that I found on my Direto with Zwift :roll:

The Elite consumer service made me do a test with MyETraining, and for Elite there is no problem with the results.
I understand the explanation to tell us that the Direto is very precise, but if it is precise why such a variation of power in the pedal with a regular rate even at low power of the order of 50-150W?

I asked the question of smoothing I tried the value 5, I did not feel any difference.
The value of the smoothing is a time value in second?

I will try 10 to see if it is better, because this variation does not allow to work on a constant power, it is sinusoidal

Good day to you and thank you for your help

ckyr

Postby ckyr » Mon May 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Elite Admin S wrote:Hi

Please open the advanced settings in my e-training app or software.
Look for the power smoothing option and increase the value (put it at 10), then try again.
Let me know if the situation improves.

Regards

Thank you, I will try. Can someone explain what the power smoothing function does? It is not explained in the manual from what I can tell.

raphnou

Postby raphnou » Mon May 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Hello,

I just did a test of 30 minutes, with intervals of 10 seconds at 225w and 3 minutes at 135W.
It's better around 135w with smoothing at 10 seconds, but it's unusable during the 10 second interval, the Direto does not have time to bring the target power of 225w

This will not bother me during endurance sessions, but I will go back to 3/5 seconds for the intervals.

Good afternoon

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Tue May 08, 2018 9:35 am

The power smoothin value is not a "time" option, it is the number of pedal strokes that will be averaged.
If you put it at 6, it means that the power shown will be the average power of the latest 6 pedal strokes.
The higher the value, the more averaged will be the power.

raphnou

Postby raphnou » Wed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello Elite,

I started a training plan on Zwift,

The days go by and I learn better from my Direto during training, more I am disappointed by the functioning of this Direto and regret having bought it.

Again and again, it is much too variable in ERG mode, it is only looking for the target without achieving it, while I have a really constant cadence, suddenly we lose our focus and it is not the goal .

Maintaining a constant pedaling pace is easy at 130W and it is obvious to see and feel this power variation at the pedal stroke with even a steady rate of 95 +/- 1

Today was the worst session because I had accelerations of 10s to 325w, it does anything for a device supposed to have a very precise power sensor ...

On acceleration, the Direto is not able to maintain the power and reach the target in the given time, it is up to us to adapt while the ERG mode should ensure that the trainer brings the constant working power.

So either, as you say the cadence influences the power, it would be necessary to bring a smoothing variable of this rate to avoid the effect yoyo, because to vary the power of this way whereas the rate varies from 95 to 97 for example in a very short time becomes too painful during a workout.

Please tell us that you are working on improving Direto's firmware before I decide to get rid of it ...
Tell us that you are in contact with Zwift to find solutions and raise the qualities of Direto,
Tell us that you will make a big effort on your software to make it more enjoyable to use because it is not worth much for the purchase at the moment,

Good afternoon

Raphael

ckyr

Postby ckyr » Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm

raphnou wrote:Hello Elite,

I started a training plan on Zwift,

The days go by and I learn better from my Direto during training, more I am disappointed by the functioning of this Direto and regret having bought it.

Again and again, it is much too variable in ERG mode, it is only looking for the target without achieving it, while I have a really constant cadence, suddenly we lose our focus and it is not the goal .

Maintaining a constant pedaling pace is easy at 130W and it is obvious to see and feel this power variation at the pedal stroke with even a steady rate of 95 +/- 1

Today was the worst session because I had accelerations of 10s to 325w, it does anything for a device supposed to have a very precise power sensor ...

On acceleration, the Direto is not able to maintain the power and reach the target in the given time, it is up to us to adapt while the ERG mode should ensure that the trainer brings the constant working power.

So either, as you say the cadence influences the power, it would be necessary to bring a smoothing variable of this rate to avoid the effect yoyo, because to vary the power of this way whereas the rate varies from 95 to 97 for example in a very short time becomes too painful during a workout.

Please tell us that you are working on improving Direto's firmware before I decide to get rid of it ...
Tell us that you are in contact with Zwift to find solutions and raise the qualities of Direto,
Tell us that you will make a big effort on your software to make it more enjoyable to use because it is not worth much for the purchase at the moment,

Good afternoon

Raphael

That's exactly the problem I am having too. Did you try different power smoothing options?

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu May 10, 2018 9:18 am

Hi guys

@raphnou, you're doing a training quite "extreme" (big change in power in few seconds).

Please do this two tests:

1. do the same training (with the same segments) in my e-training and let me know if the situation is the same

2. in Zwift, increase a little the segments (20-30s instead of 10s) and let me know if the situation improves

Then, let us know.
Regards

ckyr

Postby ckyr » Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Issue fixed for me. Increased the power smoothing to 5 and (based on some feedback from the zwift support team) I don’t change gears during power changes in erg mode, I simply try to keep candence stable. The trainer takes a couple of seconds to respond, but then pretty much stabilizes at a resistance level that corresponds to “asked” power for the candence. Change of gears and/or changes of candence completely confuses the process and results in inability of the trainer to stabilize resistance.

Thank to for the elite and zwift support for your help

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”