questions about the Direto

General discussions on Elite trainers

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

raphnou

questions about the Direto

Postby raphnou » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 am

Hello everybody,

I'm sorry I'm using a translator,

Currently I use a tacx genius and am not satisfied in the slope above 5/7% the trainer is too jerky, it is not pleasant to use and it has a curious noise recently.

The Direto has caught my attention, but I have some questions to the users of it and the Elite staff.

1) for a low-speed steep power train, is the Direto fluid pedaling?

2) I saw that it could simulate 14% slope but for what total weight? I can not find this information on the Elite site, while Tacx communicates this value.

3) The Tacx Genius can simulate negative slopes up to -5%, is it possible with the Direto? If no, how does it behave in a descent?

4) I know that on the Tacx Genius the speed is calculated virtually, which bothers me, the genius should be able to simulate 20% of slope for 75kg of weight without virtual calculation, but I found that the calculation is virtual already from 10% of slope, and this despite a correct calibration. I do not know if it is a bug of the software tacx under android, because for the moment I have not tried everything and I do not want too much to continue like that with the Genius.
I would like to be sure with the Direto to be able to exploit a real slope of 14% without virtual calculation and from what weight the calculation becomes virtual?
Finally, how does the Direto behave with software when it exceeds the characteristics of the Direto?

Thanks for your help

Raphael
Last edited by raphnou on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elite Admin S

Re: question about the Direto

Postby Elite Admin S » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 am

Lot of questions :D
I'll try to answer to all of them.

1) for a low-speed steep power train, is the Direto fluid pedaling?

Direto has a very heavy flywheel. Also, the ratio between the wheel and the flywheel is high (more than 12) and this assures a very high moment of inertia, that works very well also in these conditions. So, don't worry about fluidity ;)

2) I saw that it could simulate 14% slope but for what total weight? I can not find this information on the Elite site, while Tacx communicates this value.

This is more complicated.
Max simulable slope depends on weight of the rider, speed and the trainer itself (every Direto is slightly different, due to mechanical tolerances).
So, a 14% simulable slope is only and indicative value. Of course if a rider weight over 120kg, the max simulable slope will decrease considerably.

3) The Tacx Genius can simulate negative slopes up to -5%, is it possible with the Direto? If no, how does it behave in a descent?

This is not possible, sorry. On a discent, the trainer resistance will be the minimal resistance the trainer can offer at that speed.

4) I know that on the Tacx Genius the speed is calculated virtually, which bothers me, the genius should be able to simulate 20% of slope for 75kg of weight without virtual calculation, but I found that the calculation is virtual already from 10% of slope, and this despite a correct calibration. I do not know if it is a bug of the software tacx under android, because for the moment I have not tried everything and I do not want too much to continue like that with the Genius.I would like to be sure with the Direto to be able to exploit a real slope of 14% without virtual calculation and from what weight the calculation becomes virtual?

I don't know well how Tacx works. But we don't have anything like that.
Direto calculate speeds from the rotations, no virtual calculations are done. The speed and power you'll see will always be the ones you have on screen.

Finally, how does the Direto behave with software when it exceeds the characteristics of the Direto?

As for descents, if you're asking to the trainer more (or less) power compared to the one it can develope, he will simply position the resistance to its max (or min). For example, if you're asking 1000W and at that speed the trainer can simulate max 900W, it will remain at 900W (and transmit that power value)

I hope to have been clear enough

raphnou

Postby raphnou » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Thank you for the speed of your answer, it's really a good point :mrgreen:

And that's good because I have other questions before validating my basket with the Direto

I already installed My E-training Desktop and Mobile, it's a pity that we can not try in demo mode your application to see the available features and make a comparison.
I think that the quality of the software is as important as the trainer, many users break their heads at tacx ... I feel that Elite is better or at least as good in the positive things :D

My questions:

- Can I put an 8-speed cassette with the adapter ring?
- Can we import a gpx file and follow it with a google map background? If so, is it possible for both mobile and desktop applications?
- Can one do training like tacx android app, based on power, heart rate and slope?
- Can we export the data to garmin connect with the altitude data and the gpx plot that was followed?
- Is all this possible on the free version?

thank you very much
See you soon for my experience on the Direto

Raphael

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 am

It's a less busy period of the year, so I'm able to answer faster than a month ago :mrgreen:

Here's your answers ;)

- Can I put an 8-speed cassette with the adapter ring?

Direto is compatible only with 9, 10 and 11 speed cassettes.
BUT this doesn't mean that you cannot try to mount your 8 speed cassette, but we cannot guarantee that the gear will work properly.
Some users have been able to use a 8 speed cassette without particular problems.
Of course you'll need some more spacers. If you have any problem, contact your trusted mechanic.

- Can we import a gpx file and follow it with a google map background? If so, is it possible for both mobile and desktop applications?

In my e-training, you can import only kml files (if you use a smartphone/tablet, you'll have to put the kml file on iTunes/GDrive)
But you can use a converter, to convert your gpx file in klm format. You could try with "tcx converter" for example (http://www.tcxconverter.com), it's quite good.

- Can one do training like tacx android app, based on power, heart rate and slope?

In the app, you can do power and level based trainings.
In the Desktop version, you'll have also slope and altimetry based training.
HR based training are not available in this moment and it's not in our future plans yet. But some users are asking it, so... cross your finger.

- Can we export the data to garmin connect with the altitude data and the gpx plot that was followed?

You can export your trainings to Garmin Connect (in tcx format). But no gps or altimetry will be exported, only the training data.

- Is all this possible on the free version?

In free version, only the level mode is available. Sorry.
Notice that with Direto you'll get a 12 months free subscription, so you'll be able to give it a try. Then, you can decide what to do (our trainer is also compatible with third party apps and softwares, like Zwift or TrainerRoad)

raphnou

Re: questions about the Direto

Postby raphnou » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Thank you,
Tomorrow I make my first rounds with the Direto, hoping it will be a better choice than the Tacx Genius ;)

Have a good day
Raphael

aledmorris

Postby aledmorris » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Got a Direto a few weeks ago. Set up was fine but that’s where satisfaction stops. Downloaded the Mytrainer app and entered the subscription code. The app WILL NOT configure the trainer. So set up another account and purchased a separate subscription. Same thing. So I cannot use any of the app because it will not configure. Complete rubbish. Wish I had gone for a Kinetic as I’ve had a Road Machine for many years problem free. Instructions and manual are hopeless. One of the worst and most disappointing purchases I have ever made

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am

@aledmorris,

I see you have indeed registered 2 different accounts, one with an activated coupon and one with a purchased subscription.
First of all, I suggest you to cancel your purchase to have the money back (contact the Play Store / App Store)

The app should couple without issues with the Direto, if it supports the bluetooth smart or the ant+ protocol.
Can you tell me the model of your smartphone/tablet?
Which error you get in the app when you do the configuration?
Can you tell me the status of the LEDs when you power on the trainer?

Regards

Return to “Trainers general discussion”