Suito-T - Zwift slow reaction to power changes

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

david.edery

Suito-T - Zwift slow reaction to power changes

Postby david.edery » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi,
I've noticed that when I use Zwift and the power requirement changes (in ERG mode), it takes around 5s for the trainer to react (e.g. increase the resistance) but then it takes around 30s of the trainer playing with the resistance until we get into steady state in which both the power is around the requirement and the cadence. This is OK(ish) when it's a long section (e.g. 250watt/90rpm for 5 minutes) but it's really not OK when it's a 30s power surge (e.g. 400watt/110rpm for 30s) - the numbers are ALL over the place.

I am wondering if the fact that reaching steady state takes more than 30s is related to the fact that I'm using a one-side power meter?
If so, if I change the power source to be the trainer itself (after successful calibration of course) should I expect a quicker steady state time?

How does it work from Zwift perspective - Is the request from Zwift to the trainer is "keep 200watt now"? (and the trainer closes the loop with its own power meter/PML) or does Zwift closes the loop on its own and tells the trainer something like "now increase resistance by 10watt" (if it sees from the power source that I'm pedaling in 190watt instead of 200 or something like that)

Thanks,
David.

red.hell

Re: Suito-T - Zwift slow reaction to power changes

Postby red.hell » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:10 pm

when using erg mode is preferable use a low gear, because the inertia of the wheel act in opposition to power changes

david.edery

Re: Suito-T - Zwift slow reaction to power changes

Postby david.edery » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:09 am

I am using the same low gear for the entirety of the workout. For some reason, when I'm using high gear I can feel the cogging of the magnets which makes for an unpleasant ride feeling (this is a brand new trainer running latest fw)

Return to “Suito”