Nero Bike Rollers

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

alanwestwood

Re: Nero Bike Rollers

Postby alanwestwood » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:37 pm

It seems impossible to buy Nero’s in the UK just now, nobody has them in stock. Best I have seen is SigmaSport saying expected delivery is September 2020 - is that likely the earliest for restocking in the UK? Thanks.

ortos

Postby ortos » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:22 am

I have finally been able to buy an Elite Nero roller, 8 months I have been looking for it but it seems that the stock is beginning to arrive in stores.

truxillod

Postby truxillod » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:43 pm

You will enjoy. I have had mine for over a year now and still love them.

If you never have ridden rollers - steep learning curve for the first few days but there after you will truly enjoy the interactive nature of the rollers and freedom of movement.

ortos

Postby ortos » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:09 am

truxillod wrote:You will enjoy. I have had mine for over a year now and still love them.

If you never have ridden rollers - steep learning curve for the first few days but there after you will truly enjoy the interactive nature of the rollers and freedom of movement.

At the moment I am very unhappy with the speed with which the Nero's powermeter values are updated, it is too slow and for Zwift it is not appropriate.

Do you have this same problem?

bikesteff

Postby bikesteff » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Are you using additional power meter pedals or something else or just the power caclutation from the Nero?

I recognize a small gap between power displayed in Zwift and Nero resistance but it is not too big - at least not 10 seconds. I have new Favero power pedals but had no time to install them yet.

dwtrux

Postby dwtrux » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:12 pm

when I did ride Zwift I connected with my Favero power meter pedals for resistance changes and it was fairly close but definitely a lag. I now ride mainly using Rouvy or Elite's own software MyETraining videos or training programs. No lag and my Favero and Nero readings are very close after the first 2 to 3 minutes of riding.

ortos

Postby ortos » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:02 pm

bikesteff wrote:Are you using additional power meter pedals or something else or just the power caclutation from the Nero?

I recognize a small gap between power displayed in Zwift and Nero resistance but it is not too big - at least not 10 seconds. I have new Favero power pedals but had no time to install them yet.

I give you an example so you can understand what I meant:

(I am using a Garmin Vector 3 powermeter and I visualize it on a gps in the field of instant power and the power that the nero emits I visualize it on my iphone with the myetraining app by Bluetooth )

(previously I have performed the calibration of the nero correctly)

I start pedaling at a constant power of 100W and my gps (with Vector 3 measure) immediately shows 100,99,101,102,100 ...
Simultaneously, the myetraining app shows 45,47,50,55,60 ..., 90,92,95,97,100... taking almost 30 seconds to reach the 100W that I have kept constant from the first second

(I have tried to select the power of the nero on my gps (in the field of instant power) and the power rises or falls just as slow as in the myetraining app)

This gives the impression that the power emitted by the nero is the average power during the previous 30s, it is as if it had a smoothing factor)

If I am pedaling at a constant 100W and I go up to 200W for 5s and then I return to 100W my pedals show this value (200) immediately and then it shows 100 again but the nero will show 100W permanently without showing the oscillation that I caused myself

I have not activated the powermeter link, I collect the measurement of both powemeters in different devices

dwtrux

Postby dwtrux » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:15 pm

you have described my experience with the Nero and Favero but it is usually just starting off. However, the pedals produce instant changes in the power but that is how I have it set rather than 3 seconds or more. Not sure but I do suspect that Nero does an average over a period of time.

This morning Pedals had 220 as I got going for about 10 seconds and then steady at around 158 and Nero was 30, 40, 60 etc. but eventually was at 156 to 159. However, pedals show almost instant changes where Nero lags both up and down but when riding steady for a while almost always within 1 to 3 watts of the Favero.

bike_steff

Postby bike_steff » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:30 pm

** However, pedals show almost instant changes where Nero lags both up and down but when riding steady for a while almost always within 1 to 3 watts of the Favero. **

When you say Nero stays in between 1 to 3 watts of the Favero was it when hill climbing (which gradient?) or more in flat areas? Which spin down number did you get on the Nero together with what rider constellation (weight, tires, pressure)? I would like to get an idea if my spin down calibration on Nero is approximately correct (mine is 3990 miliseconds, weight 80kg, Continental 4 season 25mm tire @5.5 bar).

bike_steff

Postby bike_steff » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:52 pm

@ortos

I start pedaling at a constant power of 100W and my gps (with Vector 3 measure) immediately shows 100,99,101,102,100 ...
Simultaneously, the myetraining app shows 45,47,50,55,60 ..., 90,92,95,97,100... taking almost 30 seconds to reach the 100W that I have kept constant from the first second

Thanks for the explanation, now I do understand! It looks like that Nero has implemendet something like a running average over the last 30 seconds which is in my opinion too much! Maybe the only sensor (at least they need to measure the rotation speed of the back rollers) they use is not very accurate :shock: ... on the other hand it should be much more accurate because my guess is that they calculate the cadence from the variation in the rotation frequency (which also is not very accurate.

Do you have this problem only at the begining or also later after some minutes of pedaling?

(previously I have performed the calibration of the nero correctly)

I do not trust the calibration procedure ... to many variables. But, however, your calibration seems to be not to far away from the vector 3 pedals?

Another idea: Is it the Vector 3 dual side version? If not it could be due to a difference between left and right side when you start increasing your speed. But that would mean that the difference between left and right side would only be visible while accelerating to reach your final speed ...

Return to “Nero”