Nero clacking noise and erg mode

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

paul.rv

Nero clacking noise and erg mode

Postby paul.rv » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:07 am

Hi
I purchased a Nero last year and have been using it on Zwift for about 6 months now however I think there are two issues possibly related.

I have noticed there is a clacking noise from the controller as the gradient changes. This noise has been getting louder recently and it sounds like something is broken (gears slipping) as its trying to select the correct gradient.

This week I have tried to use Zwift workouts in erg mode for the first time and the noise is even worse. Also the power level in erg mode is 50-100% harder making it impossible to complete a 1 hour workout that maxes 75% of my FTP. The problem is not related to cadence, the power levels just seeam far too high. If turn erg off the power levels match what I would expect. Please advise.

Thanks Paul

hernandez_christ

Re: Nero clacking noise and erg mode

Postby hernandez_christ » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:29 am

Maybe calibration in zwift?

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:22 am

Hi

First of all, do the calibration using my e-training.
Please notice that Nero calibration is a little "delicate". You have to follow these rules:
- the trainer must have been folded for the previous 2 hours (at least, better if an entire night)
- you have to do the calibration immediately after unfolding it (no pedaling on the trainer to warm up)
- do the calibration rapidly (reach immediately the target speed) and don't make zig-zag when you're asked to stop pedaling

If still you're having problems, contact the customer care at info@elite-it.com

Regards

paul.rv

Postby paul.rv » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the firmware, upgraded it from 179 to 192 and performed a calibration as advised. I still have some noise which is worse in erg / power mode so have sent an email to info@elite-it.com with a video clip.
I find the power level now is closer between the two modes but still harder in erg / power mode for the same output in sim/ level mode.
To test using MyeTraining app I set level mode to 4 and spin at a steady 80 rpm for 10 mins. The power output was 170 w and hr stabilised at 117bpm – a rate that I can do all day. After a 5 min break, I select power mode same gear etc I set the watts to 170 spin at 80 rpm but it feels like the power is 40 - 60w more. After 2 mins heart rate is 125 and stabilises at 134.
I find it’s the same in Zwift erg mode. I have found the only way I can complete training erg mode is to lower my ftp setting in Zwift so it drops the power levels.
I understand how the calibration will make a difference overall but I don’t understand why its so different in back to back tests at the same cadence so I think something is still wrong. I will update when I hear back from support, hopefully they will advise. At least I have a workaround and with some earplugs I can blank out the noise I just hope it doesn’t break!

Paul

paul.rv

Postby paul.rv » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Quick update:
I had a fast response from support (less than 24h) and some instructions to adjust the magnets on the load roller. I've done that and it has significantly reduced the noise which is no longer intrusive. Now I've seen how it works I think the noise was coming from the stepper motor and carriage/slider assembly when it is constantly adjusting position in erg mode. Will test further and update again with more detail.
Paul

paul.rv

Postby paul.rv » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:25 pm

Having tested it now for a couple of weeks it all seems much better in both My e-training app and Zwift. The noise is practically gone - there is some but its no longer a problem or significant. The adjustment procedure provided by support suggested moving the magnets away from the rotor one turn on each but I found that 1/3 rd turn clockwise was sufficient. The calibration procedure is carried out again which resulted in slightly higher spin down values.

The only difference from the user perspective that I can see is that level mode on My e-training needed to be set 1 unit higher to get the same wattage and cadence as before. e.g. Set to level 5 instead of level 4 to get 170 watts at 80 rpm in 3rd gear.

I have also found that the power values for Sim mode and ERG mode are much closer. I don't have a power meter to measure it exactly but having done a few tests with a HR monitor they record and feel about the same. I can just about complete the Zwift training modules in ERG now without lowering my FTP setting so all good. :D

emailfordye

Postby emailfordye » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 am

Hi paul.rv,

that sounds interesting, in the technical sense. Any chance to post some pictures of how to check/change the alignment?

Terry
Last edited by emailfordye on Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzz.rob

Postby zzz.rob » Sun May 16, 2021 11:39 pm

I found tech support really helpful when I had the same issue (clacking noise).
So anyone with the same issue should contact tech support, as they are best placed to help.

If you have any kind of noise at all you will have a problem, that could end in a major failure.
As I think you have work out by now the resistance works by moving two magnets towards the centre of the rear roller, using a stepper motor.
The distance between the magnets and roller is small, the noise (at least it was for me) was the roller rubbing on the plastic housing of the magnet.
If this is gets worn away too much the magnet will break through and destruction will likely occur. Mine was half worn through and I had to replace the housing unit.

I suggest using the phone app to put the strength on max and spinning the roller by hand. If you hear any rubbing noise then you need to adjust. There is a wire braid on the roller so there will be a faint noise from that.

emailfordye

Postby emailfordye » Mon May 17, 2021 6:54 pm

I was just asking for pictures to know approximately what I could be looking for. I see now it will be easier to take the covers off (seems I need to take off left and right side) and observe the magnets' movements with the app. That's a good idea. Perhaps it will clearly visible once it's open. My unit is not clacking. But it's nice to know how it should be in the event that is does start to clack.

Return to “Nero”