Early Review of Nero Rollers - GREAT

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

dwtrux

Early Review of Nero Rollers - GREAT

Postby dwtrux » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 pm

My Nero rollers arrived in the US and at my house last week finally. Now, I have had about 4 days to properly connect up the Nero rollers to the iPhone and iPad apps. I must simply say that Elite NAILED IT with these interactive rollers!

For two years I have been riding the Elite Quick Motion rollers and have enjoyed the experience using the Misuro B+ sensor to export data to my iPad for My E Training [Elite app] and Rouvy apps [sometimes to Zwift but not lately] connected to Apple TV and TV monitor. Quick Motion rollers were fun but without interactiveness, I was required to make my own adjustments.

The Nero Interactive rollers are a complete GAME CHANGER. I have connected my apps through Bluetooth Smart and the Nero has made real-time changes in resistance on the rollers during a ride consistent with video display or workout criteria. Super impressed. One quick note is that Nero can only connect to ONE Bluetooth device at a time so make sure that it is not already hooked up to an iPad or iPhone or some other Bluetooth device when you are starting on one. I sometimes turn off BT for any device I am not using for the Nero until I get it connected to the app and device I am using to control Nero.

Here are my details on the set up and my thoughts as of now:

First, I am using a 3rd Generation iPad [iOS 9.3.5] with My E Training connected to the Nero through Bluetooth Smart. I have also connected my Favero Assioma power meter pedals and a Garmin Dual Bluetooth/Ant+ HRM strap through BT to the iPad and My E Training app. Be aware, it took a bit of fiddling with the My E Training app to get all the sensors connected up but ultimately did so. Had to turn off Bluetooth on iPhone and sometimes on and off the iPad, restart the My E app and plug and unplug the Nero a couple of times. Patience and don't plan on working out the first time you set it up as I must have gotten on and off the bike about a dozen times. Thereafter, smooth sailing -- or riding.
[Just to check or compare data produced, I also use a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt on my bike to show speed, cadence and wattage and was impressed as to how close all data on the Bolt was to the data on the My E Training App for watts and estimated and real speed]

Next, I have done workouts using the My E Training app on the Level Mode, Power Mode and Video Mode rides using the free user uploaded rides. Today, I used the Don Bosco Tour video ride and WOW it was very realistic. On the Video, there was an increasing and decreasing gradients from -2% to approximately 3.5% over 7 miles . The resistance on the Nero rollers was gradual up or down such that if the gradient only went up by 1%, the resistance got progressively harder instantaneously, and really if the grade got harder or easier the change was in real time as the percentage increased and decreased on the video. Super impressed. Also, if My E Training app said my speed was 8 mph going up a hard uphill section, when I looked at my Wahoo Bolt, that was the speed being registered as I rode on the rollers. Power displayed on the Wahoo and the My E Training app were consistent and I could tell that I was going up a slow grade just by seeing my wattage increase.

After getting the iPad working well, I then hooked up my iPhone X with Rouvy app to the Nero through Bluetooth. [Again, this is when I figured out that Nero will only connect to ONE Bluetooth app at a time in Bluetooth mode, so you can only ride on either Rouvy or My E Training apps – not both at the same time.] I chose an augmented road course on Rouvy with 5-7% gradients and AGAIN WOW, the Nero Interactive rollers gave real-time changes in the resistance and speed.
I have not tried to use Zwift or any other app with the Nero Rollers, but with the ease of set up I experienced, I assume that it will work well.

Finally, where my wattage max on my Quick Rollers [in Level 1] normally could not get much past 350 Watts, I am getting well over 400 watts on some efforts but I haven’t tried to max out yet as I am still getting use to the rollers. However, it is clear that the automatic interactive resistance changes on the rollers will allow for a very good workout on intervals it appears.

Hope others have great experience as well.

dwtrux

Re: Early Review of Nero Rollers - GREAT

Postby dwtrux » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Additional Update

The Nero works well on Rouvy. Today as part of the Wahoo Tour Challenge, I road the AR North Applegate Route. Mostly flat with some gentle climbs between 2 to 4% so under the 7% max. There was two short 10% climbs so maxed out at 7%. However, the Nero followed the grade up and then released tension in the valleys well. Worked great and reminded me that I am not a climber - just like on the real road. Standing up for the first time and getting some high watts on the climbs though.

Also, Nero does hook up with Wahoo Bolt as an exercise trainer and you can use the Wahoo training plans or set plans with the Wahoo controlling the resistance on the Nero.

Again, the overall experience for me has been real good.

pb2021

Postby pb2021 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi, thanks for your detailed post on the rollers. I'm new to cycling, training for my first Iornman, possibly Bolton 2021 but more likely Bolton 2022 given the fact that there's no spaces now due to last year being cancelled. I currently have an Elite Drivo and a Qubo Smart Digital B+ which I use when visiting my parents, as I'm trying to complete all Ironman VR races this year. I really like the idea of having a turbo AND a set of rollers, but when I look on the Rouvy page that lists supported smart trainers ( https://support.rouvy.com/s/article/ROU ... uage=en_US ) there are no rollers at all, so I thought that was that. Your post gives me hope that I can actually use rollers on the Rouvy AR routes (for the Ironman VR rides, you have to use Rouvy, so this is critical to me). You seem to have a lot of experience with rollers, and you also use Rouvy. Are there any particular rollers you would recommend if I ONLY use Rouvy? Would you go with the Nero or as a newcomer would I be better with the Elite Arion Digital Smart B+ ? I use Rouvy on a 27inch touchscreen PC in front of the bike, and I have a Wahoo cadence and Wahoo speed sensor (not needed with the Drivo but sounds like they would be essential for Elite rollers?) I also use a Garmin HRM Tri chest strap. I'd be happy to us e a phone, ipad or PC, whatever worked best, so long as I could ride AR routes on Rouvy with rollers.
Paul

dwtrux

Postby dwtrux » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:43 pm

I use my Nero Rollers connected to Rouvy AR and do so through the Apple TV app [Bluetooth] connected to a 32 inch monitor, and Rouvy seems to work fine. It has been so long since I first connected to Rouvy in that set up [it now just is automatically connected when I turn on the Nero and Apple TV and open Rouvy app] that I can't recall the setting or if Nero showed up as an interactive smart training in Rouvy or if I used the Arion Roller setting. Either way, Rouvy does control the resistance for me. I used to use my iPad connected directly to the monitor with Rouvy but the Apple TV solution does it just as well.

Also, I use the Garmin HR strap, and have a Wahoo Bolt head unit with speed and cadence as well as Favero power pedals connected to the Bolt. I really think the power, cadence and speed is transmitted to Rouvy by the Nero, but I use the Wahoo power and speed sort of as a backup. The speed matches up pretty much on Rouvy and my Bolt although the cadence and power are somewhat behind.

Anyway, Rouvy and my Nero seem to work together and the workout is really good.

Hope this helps.

pb2021

Postby pb2021 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks very much, that means I now have at least two guaranteed options for using Elite rollers and Rouvy AR!

Return to “Nero”