Speed help

Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Strava, Garmin, Wahoo...

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

antbarron

Speed help

Postby antbarron » Sun May 20, 2018 2:55 am

I need help! I have a new Direto and elemnt bolt.

Everything seems to work fine with a wheel circumference of 0.174 in the bolt (2105 / 12.1 = 174, bit that has me going at overa100mph!!! 1.74 also has me going WAY too fast! From what I've read, 0.174 for the bolt is correct).

Every thing works fine over ant+ until 19mph! After 19mph the speed reading actually drops as you increase speed!

Please help. Let me know if you need from me.

Anthony

Elite Admin S

Re: Speed help

Postby Elite Admin S » Mon May 21, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Anthony

First thing to do in this cases is always the same: check the behavior of the trainer if you use my e-training app.
In this way, we'll be able to exclude a trainer malfunctioning.

If using our app aspeed works properly, there must be something wrong in Wahoo Elemnt Bolt configuration.
Maybe, for some reason, it doesn't consider the circumference setting (it's only an hypothesis, as I really don't know this device).
So, please contact Wahoo directly to find a solution.

Regards

chrisrich1968

Postby chrisrich1968 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi. I'm having exact same issue with my new Direto and Elemnt.
Elemnt seems to hold speed OK until you ramp up the trainer to above 30kph, then speed drops to as low as 6kph.
Will try with the Elite E-trainer app. Any response from Wahoo?
Thanks
CJ

antbarron

Postby antbarron » Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 pm

Elite Admin S wrote:Hi Anthony

First thing to do in this cases is always the same: check the behavior of the trainer if you use my e-training app.
In this way, we'll be able to exclude a trainer malfunctioning.

If using our app aspeed works properly, there must be something wrong in Wahoo Elemnt Bolt configuration.
Maybe, for some reason, it doesn't consider the circumference setting (it's only an hypothesis, as I really don't know this device).
So, please contact Wahoo directly to find a solution.

Regards

The Elite app works fine at all speeds. Only the Bolt will not read > 19.1mph.

It has to be a Wahoo issue so I have opened a ticket with them.

PS - thank you for your response "Elite Admin S" - appreciate it.
Last edited by antbarron on Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antbarron

Postby antbarron » Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 pm

chrisrich1968 wrote:Hi. I'm having exact same issue with my new Direto and Elemnt.
Elemnt seems to hold speed OK until you ramp up the trainer to above 30kph, then speed drops to as low as 6kph.
Will try with the Elite E-trainer app. Any response from Wahoo?
Thanks
CJ

CHris - this is exactly my issue. I only submitted to Wahoo today. I'll let you know if I hear anything. They made an update in Sept last year to accomodate the tiny wheel circumference...

A few more details from me:

For Wahoo Elemnt Bolt I use 175mm (expressed as 0.175m in the companion app). This is 2120 / 12.1. Using any other wheel circumference just gets you the wrong speed on the Bolt.

This circumference works great with the Bolt UNTIL you get to 19.1mph. After that speed the reading goes all over the place, but will not go above 19.1mph on the head unit no matter what you do. For example, Elite E Trainer software is (accurately) reading 28mph and the Bolt is flicking around all over the place between 0 and 19.1mph.

This is totally frustrating as I now can't use the Bolt directly to simulate rides. I'm guessing it has to do with the mathematics involved in calculating speed from a wheel which is 17.4cm around!!
Last edited by antbarron on Sun May 27, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisrich1968

Postby chrisrich1968 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:25 am

I also approached Wahoo and sent them my log file and .FIT file of the issue. There communication has been good but I'm not confident of a fix anytime soon. I pointed out to Wahoo that I had switched from Garmin to Wahoo due to Garmin's glitchiness and lack of support.
Thx
CJ

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu May 24, 2018 8:33 am

It may be that some variable overflows, this could explain this behavior.
Keep us updated on wahoo reply

antbarron

Postby antbarron » Sun May 27, 2018 2:48 pm

chrisrich1968 wrote:I also approached Wahoo and sent them my log file and .FIT file of the issue. There communication has been good but I'm not confident of a fix anytime soon. I pointed out to Wahoo that I had switched from Garmin to Wahoo due to Garmin's glitchiness and lack of support.
Thx
CJ

No movement on my request yet. Not sure if it' visible to everyone, but here is the link: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/requests/417339?page=1

chrisrich1968

Postby chrisrich1968 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:03 am

Seems the new Wahoo firmware hasn't fixed the problem. Have emailed them again for an update.

IrvingFeliz

Postby IrvingFeliz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:04 am

For DIRETO it's unstable not just in ERG Mode. Insecure obstruction is additionally occuring in PWR/opposition mode. When I setup i.e for example slant 2% and ride restistance streams - +10% of my wattage. Unpleasant. I can't envision to perform Full Frontal test in such conditions. For instance: 5 minutes with target 450w - yet it might fluctuate between 400 to 500.

https://theessayservice.org/buy-term-paper/

Return to “Third Party Applications and non Elite devices”