Oil loss - Real Turbo Muin B+

RealAxiom, RealTour, RealPower, Real Turbo Muin, Real emotion

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

Elite Admin S

Re: Oil loss - Real Turbo Muin B+

Postby Elite Admin S » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi

I'm sorry, I cannot find any mail from you in the email service of our customer care.
Did you use a different email? Can you tell me so I can check?

Regards

nmkobra

Postby nmkobra » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi,

I used nmkobra@aol.com I still have the email chain if you wish for me to forward it to you.

Thanks, Nath

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi

I only found an old conversation (2015). Sorry.
Please forward me the complete conversation in mp, thank you. I need to understand what happened.

Regards

nmkobra

Postby nmkobra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 pm

Can you send me your email so i can forward you the email please. Thanks

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:56 am

Write us at real@elite-it.com

lockedout80

Postby lockedout80 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Any new updates? Just hopped on to start my morning ride,and immediately heard a loud “click click click” from the Turbo Muin. Crawled down to check it out, and noticed the oil leak. Very sad day. Sending an email to the address provided above.

prussell150

Postby prussell150 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:48 am

Sorry to drag up an old thread but info might be useful to someone,

I have an Elite real turbo muin B+ which has had a few problems, I have now striped it several times and know pretty much what the issues are.

As far as oil leaks, the main area for leaks is purely the large "o" ring that seals the large flange. Easy to remove, easy to replace. If its coming out of this flange thats what it will be.

There is a small seal on the shaft that runs through the unit, i guess this would sometimes leak, this would cause oil to come out near the small pulley near the drive belt. I personally have not had leaks from this area.

Noise- mine has had alot of noise!
the bearings were loose in the large Pulley, I fitted new bearings although the actual problem was the original bearings has chattered loose in the pulley so the new bearings did not now have the correct interferance fit. high strength bearing fit Loctite fixed this issue. While I was there I balanced this pulley as it was hoplessly out of balance, i know this pulley is very light and turns relatively slowly but i feel it should still be balanced.

Then the bearings on the "main" shaft got loose. It started making alot of knocking noises, and the vibration it has had got a lot worse.
On stripping this down I found two big problems, the bearings were very loose on the shaft and the shaft was not straight.
I believe the straightness of the shaft has been a problem from new, which has caused the speed related vibration. I suspect it occured during heat treatment of the shaft. It causes the heavy high speed flywheel to run out of true, hence the vibration.

With the shaft in a lathe, and a dti measuring, I managed to straighten the shaft a lot. I reassembled the unit, loctite now holding the bearings tight on the shaft. Hoping this would be a short tearm fix until a new shaft could be purchased from Elite.
The trainer is now reasonable smooth, although there is still a little vibration at various speeds.

I contacted Elite about the issues, in some respects they were very helpful. Even though my Muin is out of warrenty they sent me some oil and the large "o" ring free of charge. This was very kind, I was happy to pay.
I am also happy to pay for a new main shaft, these are not a very old product and I thought that buying spare parts for a mechanical item that WILL wear out, should be a simple process of picking the part required on an exploded diagram and ordering it.
But it turns out that Elite cannot supply me a simple spare shaft for what was a very expencive turbo trainer.

So I am either going to make a new shaft myself, or buy a new turbo trainer.

Regards
Peter

vincenzo.iaciofano

Postby vincenzo.iaciofano » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Peter thanks for sharing your story. I too have the same issue but with a slightly different trainer. I have a elite turbomuin which started with a knocking noise. I have had a friend take it apart and he mentioned the shaft was not hardened. It wore and the bearing rattled on the shaft. He managed to cut down the shaft with a new size bearing to take the smaller diameter. The only issue i have now is the oil grade to put back in and quantity.
Also there is still play as you say its a loose fit and i will have to use loctite. maybe thats a work around on yours to make the shaft smaller, find a bearing to work to with a smaller inner diameter.
vinnychoff

Vincenzo

Return to “Real trainers”