Direto w/ 11 Speed Shimano 105

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

Rubenvanaa

Re: Direto w/ 11 Speed Shimano 105

Postby Rubenvanaa » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:39 am

Elite is thuis fixable. Just got my new director and removed and replaced spacers and cassette several time and stille thuis problemen. Jocky wheel does seem to move!

nachogarrone

Postby nachogarrone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi, any updates about this issue?
I'm facing the same problem here!

grisha87

Postby grisha87 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:17 pm

Hey Elite! I'm also having the problem with Direto X and Shimano 105 (CS-R7000) with a Fuji Roubaix 1.1. The chain is under a strange angle which leads to noisy usage and obviously the parts/chain would be damaged over time. I wouldn't like to loose any guarantee because of this so can you guys give us an official statement on how we should solve this?

I'll try the additional spacer in few days (have to get the necessary tools) although the cassette was put on the trainer by the retailer before I left the store and will let you know if it helped anyhow.

---
UPDATE 09.03.2020

The additional spacer didn't work out. We had problems with mounting the cassette back.
We moved the rear adapter from outside of the bike frame to the inside - so between the frame and the trainer (against the recommendations from the manual). This gave the gears different angle which after some adjustments to the gears reduced the noise.

samuel.stenning

Postby samuel.stenning » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi Elite,

I’m having the exact same issue, on the same Shimano 105 set up and the same cassette as mentioned above in this thread. I’m also not using the spacers as instructed. What’s the solution here? The noise of the gears changing and the chain moving is quite clearly wrong / evidence the chain is catching. I’ve been to the retailer 4 times to ensure everything is lined up properly, to no avail.

Incredibly disappointing.

Thanks

samuel.stenning

Postby samuel.stenning » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Did anyone ever get a response or assistance from Elite on this issue? Did anyone manage to fix it on their own. I’ve reached out to their helpline/ email address listed above, but I’m yet to get a response. Considering the price, I’m increasingly angry / disappointed.

elite949

Postby elite949 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:43 pm

I have the exact same issue on a brand new Elite Direto XR with a bike equipped with an 11Speed Ultegra.

elite949

Postby elite949 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:10 pm

I am in contact with the shop where I bought the trainer.
I rode about 2500km with my chain, they said, that this could be the problem.
I will change my chain and will report back how this works out.

bigtalljonathan

Postby bigtalljonathan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:31 pm

There's a thread similar to this over on the trainerroad forum about miss aligned cassette on the trainer. Essentially the cassette on the trainer will never be in exactly the same place as on your wheels when considering the centre line of your bike and a few mm's out will cause headaches. This can be adjusted by the barrell adjuster on your bike - assuming that the cassette is on properly with the correct spacers.
Put it on the big chain ring and smallest cog at the back - then click up one gear and adjust the barrel adjuster so that it moves up one.

There's a video about this here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbk5RcH0bbQ

go to 2:45 and follow the indexing. You should be able to get a gear ratio that works and since it's direct drive if you use ERG mode you can have it any combination and mid cassettegives the best chain line for any chainring.

If that's not the issue not sure what it could be - though you'll have to index it back when you put your bike's back wheel on again to get good shifting on the bike.

elite949

Postby elite949 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:40 pm

If it was that simple...
I already set up my gears but it does not help.
They shift perfectly up and down but the noise remains.
There is no setting, where the chain glides smoothly.

I hope my bike is back tomorrow, then I will make another test run.

bigtalljonathan

Postby bigtalljonathan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 pm

There are really maybe only three actually maybe four things it can be...

Indexing
Bent hanger/frame
Worn cassette and or chain.
Freehub body not straight

So if you worked through them....

I had a noisy chain cassette issue that turned out to be a slightly worn chain on a new cassette. They just didnt like each other. :D

New chain and cassette and away you go. To be honest I now have an old MTB as my trainer bike for these issues though I appreciate not everyone has the space /luxury/whatever to do this.

The cassette on the trainer may be in slightly different place compared to your wheel so indexing would solve that difference.

If it's a bent hanger then it'd shift OK for some gears but not all.

Wear would only show where you have a difference in age - your bike drive train wears at the same rate so when you put it against a new cassette on the trainer it needs to wear in. You could try taking the cassette off your bike and put it on the trainer to test this one.

Freehub body is easy to spot - put bike on trainer and spin the pedals backwards. If the cassette rings seem to pulse in and out from the body of the trainer as they rotate this suggests that the axle/Freehub is bent.

:roll:

Sorry just trying to help as it could be end user error and unless you've tried these things why is it the trainers issue - unless it's a bent axle/Freehub.

You say... If only it were that easy but all you've done is talked about spacers and not what you have and haven't tried. So you could stow the sarcasm and take this for what it is - someone simply trying to help by offering suggestions.

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”