Direto w/ 11 Speed Shimano 105

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

elite949

Re: Direto w/ 11 Speed Shimano 105

Postby elite949 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:40 am

I really apreciate your help!

The wear of the chain is in deed a possibility or a problem with the freehub.

A bent hanger on a carbon fiber frame can be ruled out and the indexing is already tested and ruled out, too.

As I said, my bike is in maintenance right now, so I hope tonight I can check it out again.

I hope it's just the chain. With 2500km it's got the highest possibility.

Thank you for your effort!

bigtalljonathan

Postby bigtalljonathan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Looks like you've ruled out some of the possibilities.

Carbon frames have metal hangers but of your indexing is fine through the block that rules it out too. If you have the ability to put your bike's cassette on the trainer you should be able to answer this - assuming of course that when your bike drive chain is running it sounds silent/buttery smooth rather than a bag of spanners being shaken. :lol: :lol:

I had an issue with mine where it was getting noisy and it turned out that the skewer adaptor wasn't on tight so the whole freehub and cassette was moving ever so slightly and the chain angel was not perfectly straight so it was pulling the cassette outwards depending on the power. Took me a few mins to find that one. :roll:

Hope it's the chain. :)

elite949

Postby elite949 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 pm

It was the chain.
I got my bike back today and the installed a new chain.
Now everything is running just fine.

bigtalljonathan

Postby bigtalljonathan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:14 pm

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted..

tristanjwatson

Postby tristanjwatson » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:58 pm

I know this is old, but had a similar problem with my new Direto X and a 10 speed Shimano 105 cassette.
There was a horrible grinding sensation and loads of noise from the chain/cassette. I managed to improve the situation by:
1. Taking off the derailleur and giving it a thorough clean.
2. Used the 2 spacers provided by Direto PLUS the spacer with cassette (3 in total)
2. Re-indexing the system with bike on trainer
This made it a little better but the problem was still there. So...
3. Put on a new chain to go with the new cassette. This made all the difference and it's now lovely and smooth.

Hope this can be some help to anyone with similar issues...

gavsantosgib

Postby gavsantosgib » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:05 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I've also come across this issue with my brand new Direto trainer. I've indexed my gears on the trainer and will be getting a new chain on today, which I HOPE (as some on here have said) the clunky gear changes in the rear will improve! Note that this is an 11sp drivetrain 11-28.

I had a thought and hope that somebody on here can either tell me its a brilliant one, or ask me to re-evaluate my thoughts entirely. After going through every possible moving and stationary part of my drivetrain, I noticed that the rear cassette sits a little further outboard than when the cassette is on the wheel, this is amplified when the chain is in the smallest gear (11t) in the rear and smallest chain ring (36t) at the front. Yes I am aware that this is cross chaining and its frowned upon etc, but when its in the same gear while on the wheel, the chain line is noticeably less pronounced. The problem this creates while on the trainer is that the chain rubs, ever so slightly, on the next gear (12t) and this seems to me the most noticeable "new" noise created.

I retraced my installation steps and took it all apart as I thought I may have left a spacer on the freehub, but it wasn't the case. I hope that this may also be resolved with a new chain, but I'm not all that hopeful tbh.

Question, would it be possible, or advisable to space out my bottom bracket/crank to reduce the angle of the chain line?

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”