Direto power off by around 50 watts

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

danga

Re: Direto power off by around 50 watts

Postby danga » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Elite Admin S wrote:Some quick answer to all of you (sorry, missed from the forum for a couple of months due to other projects).

If Direto power is different from the one you have on your power sensor check calibration.
If the offset is different from the original one, it may be necessary to tighten the belt.
CONTACT US before doing it!

Also, you have to consider that the trainer and your power sensor measure power in different points. The trainer measures it on the hub, while most of the power sensor on the crank. As you can easily understand, this adds some additional frictions and increase the power (usually 10-20W but can be up to a 5%).

Here's some link about this:
link
link
link

If the power difference is less than a 5%, this is the cause.

If still you think that there's something wrong, contact us.
We will ask you specific tests and data and analyze every single situation to understand what's wrong.

Regards

I’ve been in contact with support staff the difference is 10% and I’ve been told it’s normal, Im not convinced it’s normal you yourself have said 5%.

I’ve completed offset calibration and tensioning of the belt as instructed by support. I’ve provided a number of data files and not once has support asked me to run a test in fact they told me to expect a 10% difference even though the Direto reads higher than my power at the pedals? If there was drivetrain losses to account for the pedals would read higher not lower as you’ve suggested above.

Where to next who can provide the support to understand which power source is problematic, I am in the process of obtaining a third power source to further validate. I would like a Elite to support the process and not try to dismiss my concern of a 10% differential at various power levels.

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi

We're saying that the difference may be up to a 5%.
Of course you have to add a +/-2% of error due to the trainer precision and another error due to the power sensor precision (let's suppose a 1%).
This means that the error may reach a max of a+/-8% in the worst situation.

If the error is more than this, please talk about this with the technician that is following your case (I don't have access to the data you've sent).

Regards

danga

Postby danga » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:44 am

Elite Admin S wrote:Hi

We're saying that the difference may be up to a 5%.
Of course you have to add a +/-2% of error due to the trainer precision and another error due to the power sensor precision (let's suppose a 1%).
This means that the error may reach a max of a+/-8% in the worst situation.

If the error is more than this, please talk about this with the technician that is following your case (I don't have access to the data you've sent).

Regards

The error is greater than 8% its 10% as stated above. Support has given me the same misinformed answer 3-4 times in a row, the latest outcome is a broken belt.
So after all my dealings with support and a broken belt Elite still only want to send me a belt and pulley kit to try and resolve my issue. A new replacement unit would be more appropriate than me going through this loop again!

danga

Postby danga » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:43 pm

As an update to my situation.

In summary:
- belt tore/snapped
- Elite Australia were very quick to provide a replacement pulley and belt
- installed and calibrated unit to within 3 points of the factory offset
- tested the unit against two power sources Powertap P1 dual sided pedals and Favero Assioma dual sided pedals and the Direto unit is still reads approximately 10% higher than both power sources at different power levels.

I’d like my unit to be accurate and am asking for a replacement, given I’ve snapped a belt and proved using multiple power sources the Direto unit is inaccurate it’s the least Elite could do now to honour their market claims around accuracy.

tiz92

Postby tiz92 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 am

Anyone has a solution?

Did a calibration 3 days ago. Original offset is 6400 and new one 6396.So everything is fine but Power seems to be off by 30-40 Watts. 280 Watts felt like 310+. Tried to recalibrate several times but its always the same. The direto is from September 2018 so its very new and it worked flawlessly besides that. :?

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 am

Contact the customer care at myetraining@elite-it.com, the guys there will give you instructions to do some additional test

Regards

ian_thompson_

Postby ian_thompson_ » Fri May 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Having the same problem. Recently bought a new set of powertap P1 dual sided pedals, and found that my Direto is reading 30+watts higher (at all intensities than my pedals. Surely if we are accounting for loss in the drive chain the figures should be the other way round? Has anyone found a way to adjust? I have recently calibrated my Direto and its within 1 point....

As a side note, my friend has a Watbike Atom and the figure from that and my pedals are pretty much one-for-one.

Please help!!

jensy

Postby jensy » Fri May 24, 2019 3:48 am

brlacroix wrote:Hi all!

I bought an Elite Direto trainer in November 2017 and got it in January 2018. Since I started to use it I felt the power it gave me was very low compared to a lot of estimated power data from Strava (I don't have a power meter but I ride often and I have more than 7000 km of cycling data on Strava). I also ride in the winter with my triathlon club on spinning bikes and the power data on those bikes corresponds pretty much to the estimated power data from Strava.

Recently I did a first FTP Test in Zwift and ended up with an FTP of 218 which seemed to be extremely low according to my racing class. After doing some more rides, Zwift upgraded my FTP to 238.

Yesterday I did an FTP test on a spinning bike with my club FileZilla UC Browser Rufus. I held 349 W for 20 min which gives an FTP of 332 W. This is probably too high but after discussing with my teammates which own power meters and smart trainers (mostly Flucx) they told me that my FTP is surely around 300 W. We ride a lot in group so we know each others strength pretty well. Also, when I look at my 30 minutes efforts from this summer, made in road training sessions and stored in Strava, it shows averages of around 320 W which confirms an FTP of approximately 300 W.

I also bought the Elite Direto to race on Strava and I'm very disappointed with the power accuracy problem.

I will write to the customer service and hope they will take action fast. Otherwise, I will see if I can get a refund and will buy another trainer model.

Thanks!

If I'm producing around 60+w on the Stages, the Direto will read around 50w
At the early 100+watts on the Stages, the Direto will read around 20 watts less,
By the time I'm pushing out around 250 watts on the Stages, the Direto will read around 40-50 watts less.

This is very frustrating given that power accuracy was a big selling point for me.

Snowie

Postby Snowie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:19 am

I too have a direto that not accurate. 10% off.

Getting the normal "it's drive train losses", "we have measured your kind of power meter and found it was 4-5% off ours" etc.

Have broken 3 belt so far.

This seems to be a common problem for these trainers.

trevorgan

Postby trevorgan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:02 pm

I've experienced the exact same problem as other users. Calibrations completed and value is within the recommended range compared to the factory setting. I've stopped using the power reading from the trainer and just go by my Power2Max reading. Regularly see up to 20w difference with the Direto showing lower wattage. Accuracy of the unit is not as advertised but this does not stop me from using. Should not have to rely on a work around but have accepted the situation. Never used a Wahoo unit so wonder about their accuracy for a direct drive mounted unit. Elite should be more transparent with their marketing because the unit is not accurate as claimed and far too many users have raised the same issue on this forum.

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”