Direto power off by around 50 watts

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

devinknickerbocker

Re: Direto power off by around 50 watts

Postby devinknickerbocker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:45 pm

How did you tell that it's off by 50 watts from "reality", meaning, what are you using to determine reality?

50 watts does sound like a lot, but remember it might always be lower than a crank based power meter because of heat/efficiency loss in the system. Mine is about 20 watts below my Stages and my power2max. I just try to keep that in mind, or i use the smart trainer to control resistance but the Stages or Power2Max to measure the power.

cedricg_38

Postby cedricg_38 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 pm

I will check next week with my new power meter pedals. One thing is sure, reporter power changed a lot before/after calibration even if i didn't touch the belt tension.

matz

Postby matz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 am

I would doubt the Stages Powermeter to be precise enough to be a comparision tool. I have 2 of them and they are good for having an idea of the wattage range you are in but they constantly report more watts than I actually put out. I have a calibrated Ergometer as a reference and Precision 4iiii Powermeter. Both the Ergometer and the 4iiii are spot on the same wattage. Using the 4iiii on the Direto shows that the Direto is spot on with the 4iiii. According to this none scientific test I would say the Direto is as accurate as a trainer can be.
After I did the belt tensioning process and calibration, the offset value hasn‘t changend at all over the last 2 month. Along with the Zwift bug fixes, the Direto is an awesome experience.

Cheers, Matz

cedricg_38

Postby cedricg_38 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:20 am

It will be favero assioma duo so if i have more than 10W of difference between Assioma and Direto, then it is not normal.
I expect 5-10W higher with pedals than direto.

cedricg_38

Postby cedricg_38 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:37 pm

Hello, I checked with Assioma Duo and power of direto is 3-5W higher than assioma. So it is close but i expected higher values comming from power measurement at pedals due to loss in transmission.

Regards

drhyilmaz688

Postby drhyilmaz688 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi, I bought direto 1 year ago and I had belt problem, (ruptured and lost power with no resistance) after instruction ffrom admins I opened the device and saw one complete rupture and 3 more nearly ruptured belt. If it is the case the power will not be true. After contact with the company they send a new belt with new tension pulley, but after replacement the previous calibration did not worked and belt swipped at least 3 times. finally I used the original tension pulley and calibrated as indicated (every device has unique number) and it is spot on. the lesson I have learned after 1 year you have to be carefull about belt failure (because I replaced the belt with the same companies belt). Otherwise I am very happy with my device and compared to my friends trainers this is the one nearly comparable reading with my assioma duo power readings. Wrote just for to give my experience with the devise. Regards
Yilmaz H

T77

Postby T77 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 pm

I’m having a similar problem. Direto+AppleTV+Zwift is my setup. Everything worked very well for the first 4-5 months. Power readings and interactivity with Zwift were very consistent across workouts and terrain every week. Then I decided last week to check calibration using myETraining app on iPhone. Offset was 6648 versus 6652 factory. Went to ride in Zwift and power is suddenly reading ~50 Watts lower for same effort on same terrain. Tried a workout using erg mode and steady Z4 wattage is now a clear Z5 effort. Something is suddenly very different amd wrong. Emailed myETraining@elite-it.com and real@elite-it.com, but no response.

danga

Postby danga » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:37 pm

My Direto is 14-20w off measured against Powertap P1 dual sided pedals, the trainer is within offset spec. I’ve compared my pedals to another trainer is much smaller differential more like 3-5w which is acceptable (Kurt Kinetic).

Elite are questioning the pedals so I’m getting as much data with other trainers to validate. I may ask a friend with Favero and SRM power meters to validate my Direto.

Up until now Elite haven’t really provided any fix other than an adjustment to the tension which brought the calibration offset closer to the factory sticker.

danga

Postby danga » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 am

danga wrote:My Direto is 14-20w off measured against Powertap P1 dual sided pedals, the trainer is within offset spec. I’ve compared my pedals to another trainer is much smaller differential more like 3-5w which is acceptable (Kurt Kinetic).

Elite are questioning the pedals so I’m getting as much data with other trainers to validate. I may ask a friend with Favero and SRM power meters to validate my Direto.

Up until now Elite haven’t really provided any fix other than an adjustment to the tension which brought the calibration offset closer to the factory sticker.

I should further clarify this, it isn’t 14-20w it’s more like 10%. This has been confirmed with different workouts overt different connection mediums (ant+ vs Bluetooth). I’m just waiting for another power source to confirm which of my power sources might be out

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Some quick answer to all of you (sorry, missed from the forum for a couple of months due to other projects).

If Direto power is different from the one you have on your power sensor check calibration.
If the offset is different from the original one, it may be necessary to tighten the belt.
CONTACT US before doing it!

Also, you have to consider that the trainer and your power sensor measure power in different points. The trainer measures it on the hub, while most of the power sensor on the crank. As you can easily understand, this adds some additional frictions and increase the power (usually 10-20W but can be up to a 5%).

Here's some link about this:
link
link
link

If the power difference is less than a 5%, this is the cause.

If still you think that there's something wrong, contact us.
We will ask you specific tests and data and analyze every single situation to understand what's wrong.

Regards

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”