Direto power off by around 50 watts

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

olaf@wippenberg.de

Direto power off by around 50 watts

Postby olaf@wippenberg.de » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi,

I'm new to indoor trainers but just found out that my new Direto is off by ca 50w compared to a stages powermeter.

calibrated a few times with no change.

I first had a mountainbike connected and was already wondering why I could barely hit any speed and then changed to a cyclocrosser with the same feeling. I was only using Zwift and being new to the whole topic I thought well it's different than outside :)

So now I tried a few things, and whatever method I chose the Direto always shows between 40-60w less than the stages.
I have 3 bikes with powermeters by Quarq and Stages so I can roughly guess what the wattage is.
comparing with the stages powermeter connected to iphone x stages app and strava app.

had the direto connected via bluetooth to Zwift and my e-training.
Also to my e-training iphone app and also tried ant+ connection to edge 1000.

Always the same result.

when calibrating the offset is just 2 or 3 numers off which is still ok i guess?
what can I do, or do I just have faulty unit?

Best
Olaf

Elite Admin S

Re: Direto power off by around 50 watts

Postby Elite Admin S » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:41 am

Please contact our customer care at real@elite-it.com to investigate further

Regards

Boggles

Postby Boggles » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:09 pm

I have owned the Direto for around six weeks and have the same issue. I have done numerous tests over this period.

For testing, I have the Direto connected to the my etraining software with no other power meter connected to the software.
My Stages is connected to the Stages app (though the results are the same when connected to my Garmin Edge 1000 via ant+)
Direto has been calibrated after 10 minutes. Stages is running latest firmware and calibrated.

If I'm producing around 60+w on the Stages, the Direto will read around 50w
At the early 100+watts on the Stages, the Direto will read around 20 watts less,
By the time I'm pushing out around 250 watts on the Stages, the Direto will read around 40-50 watts less.

This is very frustrating given that power accuracy was a big selling point for me.

Of course you could say the Stages is wrong not the Direto, but given the "feel" and having ridden with power indoor and out for a couple of years I trust the Stages readings more than the Direto readings I am getting are SO low by the time the Stages is indicating moderate power output.

Also the difference in measuements can also be seen in Zwift, particularly in the power source selection section where the Direto power meter and the Stages power meter can be seen next to each other.

The Directo just seems to be on a completely different power curve. Please help.

abowman2

Postby abowman2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 am

I bought a Direto recently, and I am having the exact problem. It reads significantly lower than my Stages power meter which I zero before every ride. Stages has verified its is working properly.

I have been very frustrated since every review talked about the accuracy of the Direto. I even borrowed a second, brand new Stages power meter, and found the same difference. The Direto is reading at least 10% low.

I have emailed Elite, but haven’t received any suggestions. Still trying to explain the problem, but based on this thread, I’m not the only one. Seems they should have an idea by this point what’s causing the issue.

Please advise. I’m ready to send it back.

george

Postby george » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 pm

I am also experiencing a difference similar to this post between my Stages power meter and the Elite Direto. I am also seeing the Direto power being around 50 watts lower than the Stages power meter.

I have calibrated both trainers. For Stages I used the Zero Reset via the Stages App. For the Elite Direto I warmed up for 10 minutes then used the Elite MyETraining Android App.

I am using Zwift and viewing the Direto power through the Zwift application. Can you help me to resolve this or can any of the previous posters advise how this was resolved please?

Steve.t

Postby Steve.t » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 am

Hi, I got my direto in November 2017 and I'm starting to have the same issue. It's just getting harder to hold wheels in Zwift and I calculate that the direto is 20% less in power so if I hold 100w on the stages I'm at 80w on the direto,go to 250w on stages and it's tracking at around 200. Calibrated both many times. It was tracking very close at one time and I was confident that both were accurate and pleased that in or outdoors I was working to the same numbers. The whole point of getting the direto was to enjoy zwift more but now I'm struggling to hold the group in c and d categories. Please help Elite?

Steve.t

Postby Steve.t » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 pm

I’m having the exact same issue. It’s started recently and got worse, having trouble holding the wheel in group rides that was no problem when I first starting using the direto. I have calibrated both the stages and the direto many times. Just done Jon’s short mix on Zwift and recorded an average power of 202 on the direto and 230 on the stages. Please can Elite advise?

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi guys

It's necessary to investigate the situation. It's not something I can do in the forum, sorry.
Please contact the customer care at real@elite-it.com and then share your experience in the forum if you want ;)

Regards

brlacroix

Postby brlacroix » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 am

Hi all!

I bought an Elite Direto trainer in November 2017 and got it in January 2018. Since I started to use it I felt the power it gave me was very low compared to a lot of estimated power data from Strava (I don't have a power meter but I ride often and I have more than 7000 km of cycling data on Strava). I also ride in the winter with my triathlon club on spinning bikes and the power data on those bikes corresponds pretty much to the estimated power data from Strava.

Recently I did a first FTP Test in Zwift and ended up with an FTP of 218 which seemed to be extremely low according to my racing class. After doing some more rides, Zwift upgraded my FTP to 238.

Yesterday I did an FTP test on a spinning bike with my club. I held 349 W for 20 min which gives an FTP of 332 W. This is probably too high but after discussing with my teammates which own power meters and smart trainers (mostly Flucx) they told me that my FTP is surely around 300 W. We ride a lot in group so we know each others strength pretty well. Also, when I look at my 30 minutes efforts from this summer, made in road training sessions and stored in Strava, it shows averages of around 320 W which confirms an FTP of approximately 300 W.

I also bought the Elite Direto to race on Strava and I'm very disappointed with the power accuracy problem.

I will write to the customer service and hope they will take action fast. Otherwise, I will see if I can get a refund and will buy another trainer model.

Thanks!

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 am

@brlacroix,

I see that you've been in contact with our customer care to analyze your data and all seems to be ok.

Regards

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”