Direto XR Cassette/chain issues

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

diretoBeginner

Direto XR Cassette/chain issues

Postby diretoBeginner » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:46 am

Hi,
a newbie question here: I own a Direto XR-T. I bought the exact same cassette as I have on my bike (Shimano 12-speed). Both of the cassettes (Bike and trainer) are quite new. The chain is new as well. After mounting the bike I'm experiencing loud noises and the chain is rubbing (almost jumping) between gears.This makes the trainer basically unusable. I already made sure that I'm using the correct adapter-set as described in the manual. I also asked the support If I have to use any spacers with the cassette and they told me I don't have to. Do I really have to adjust the derailleur every time I switch from riding outside to the trainer? (Do you all own a second bike for the trainer ;) ?)

steve.hammatt

Re: Direto XR Cassette/chain issues

Postby steve.hammatt » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:40 am

First off, it's worth taking off the cassette and installing it again to make sure it's seated properly. Have you torqued the cassette properly? It needs to be installed pretty tight. Reinstalling it could well fix your problem.

You shouldn't have this problem but it's not totally uncommon.

This guide on aligning cassettes for trainers, from the Zwift forms (although the advice is purely for trainers and there is nothing Zwift -specific in there) is well worth checking out - https://forums.zwift.com/t/guide-to-dir ... ve_hammatt

diretoBeginner

Postby diretoBeginner » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:58 am

steve.hammatt wrote:First off, it's worth taking off the cassette and installing it again to make sure it's seated properly. Have you torqued the cassette properly? It needs to be installed pretty tight. Reinstalling it could well fix your problem.

I installed the cassette with great care and 40nm of torque (as labelled on the cassette) but I will definitely try to reinstall it. Thanks a lot for your advice!

muzza1

Postby muzza1 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:07 pm

I actually have a Direto XR chain issue also, but mine is the XR model that came with the 11-speed cassette pre-installed that matches my 2015 Scott Spark I use on it.

It has been working fine for many months, but now also makes quite a noise like the chain isn't aligned properly. I have checked the chain wear (which is fine) and also ridden it off the trainer with the wheel back on and it rides and changes fine so it's only while on the trainer that it's a problem.

It's actually dropped a chain while riding twice now so something's not right.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Murray

oilumiun12

Postby oilumiun12 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:17 am

Have you made sure you have tightened the locking ring onto the band with a locking tool, making sure it is securely tightened? Improperly tightened locking straps can lead to cassette slippage or damage to the spindle threads.
Donkey Kong

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”