Direto XR creaking noise

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

solrak41

Direto XR creaking noise

Postby solrak41 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:42 am

I got an XR less than a month ago, last Sunday I rode alpe d zwift for the first time using the trainer and every time the incline went above 12% the Direto made a creaking noise, video here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NfyQNFoABysNGKRol1OGfSClf4APPe12/view?usp=drivesdk), I stopped using the trainer since then. Is this fixable or just call the store to change the unit as it is still on warranty? Thanks.

JPonte

Re: Direto XR creaking noise

Postby JPonte » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 pm

I had the same problem. Every time the slope is above 12% or 14% there trainer starts sounding really odd, like the video posted on the link above.
Is this some kind of problem that can damage the trainer or is it from the mechanic/magnet resistance?

randalmcc

Postby randalmcc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:46 am

I have just experienced the same problem. My unit is less than two months old.
Is this a fixable issue or do I need to seek warranty relief?

andrew3556

Postby andrew3556 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:59 pm

Did this get resolved? I have just attempted Alp Du Zwift and have encountered the same mechanical problem. I am on the second Elite Direto as my 1st unit had and out of square casting.

Dvaid

Postby Dvaid » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi all, I had and to some extent still have a very similar issue. In my case after contacting elite I had disassembled the unit and it seemed that a screw on the flywheel was slightly different from the rest, meaning that re-tightening them did not solve so I have bought some new screws.
I suggest, if possible to disassemble, move the magnets to the maximum resistance position (level mode level 16 if I remember, set in the phone app or on the PC) then slowly move the flywheel to see if the screw touches the plastic cover of the magnet. I think it is hitting against it.
Magnet can also be adjusted to move a bit back to avoid it but in my case Elite did not suggest it, I think I will recheck with them as even with perfect shaped and perfectly tightened screws it can happen.

From their page:
https://elitesrl.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/6342961724444-Distancing-magnets-in-Direto-Direto-X-Direto-XR-Direto-XR-T-home-trainer
Note that it was not suggested by Elite back then (about 1,5 months ago).

Elite: Please let me know if distancing the magnets can have any negative effect on the trainer or on the trainer performance.

hacksau

Postby hacksau » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:04 am

This is a very good question, I am hoping to see the reply from Elite support. The instructions are on the Elite website but does not say why to do this or what happens to the performance of the trainer when you do it.
Thanks
Mark

Dvaid

Postby Dvaid » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:37 pm

Dear Elite,
Could you please share your thoughts regarding the distancing of the magnets from the flywheel in case the marks can be seen on the cover of the magnets? Referring to the process and issue described under the following link:
https://elitesrl.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/6342961724444-Distancing-magnets-in-Direto-Direto-X-Direto-XR-Direto-XR-T-home-trainer
Would it impact the performance and the accuracy of the trainer? In case that mark can be seen and it can be heard that the flywheel is hitting against the magnets (even though the screws were checked and tightened) is that the way to go ahead? Please reply in the forum as generally it can help to others as well where to look and what to ask when they are opening tickets to you. :)
Thank you.

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:08 am

Hi guys

The Direto has a power sensor inside and a calibration algorithm.
Distancing the magnets won't affect the performance of the trainer, don't worry about this.
The only thing that may change is the time requested for a resistance change, that can vary a little, but it's almost imperceptible

Regards

Dvaid

Postby Dvaid » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:17 am

Thank you for your valuable answer Elite, I would say that its great news. :) Next time I notice that problem I will slightly distance the magnets then to fully overcome the trouble (screws were swapped, tightened, every part checked as was discussed with the support before but did not do it yet).

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”