Direto XR hard resistance at the start.

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

marco584

Direto XR hard resistance at the start.

Postby marco584 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:20 am

Hello, I bought a Direto XR some weeks ago.
I noticed that when I turn it on at the beginning the pedaling is extremely hard, after a while the pedaling softens and everything returns to normal. What should I do to avoid this "wall" start? Thks

tas.silke

Re: Direto XR hard resistance at the start.

Postby tas.silke » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:06 pm

I have the same issue, did you solve it?

elite949

Postby elite949 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:46 pm

I have the same on my Direto XR.
The start is pretty hard.

bigtalljonathan

Postby bigtalljonathan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:41 pm

If it's in ERG mode you will always have this issue - put it into the small chain ring and mid cassette and the resistance will adjust downwards as you start - it;s trying to adjust the resistance to what you're putting in so trying to turn 250 watts say in three revs is a great deal harder than 250 watts at say 80 revs. Once the cadence picks up the resistance will equal out and you can then change into your chosen gear.

Irrespective of the cadence you are at you still have the same power.

Going the other way - it's known as the spiral of death and GPLama goes through this on a youtube review about ERG mode on trainers - which may be worth watching. If it's not because you're in ERG mode please feel free to ignore... :D

elite949

Postby elite949 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 am

It's not while in ERG mode.
It's in every mode, and even start pedalling in a small gear feels like riding up a wall ;)

enesto

Postby enesto » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:30 pm

It happens to me sometimes.
I noticed that it's more frequent when I start, not pedaling, an ERG workout, but occasionally it happened in SIM mode...
What I started to do is to launch zwift (and after the event, road or workout) while pedaling and I didn't get the wall.

Hope this can help.

Bye.
E.

prozorowicz

Postby prozorowicz » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:23 am

In my opinion, this is a bug in the Direto XR software. After connecting to the power supply, the trainer should withdraw the magnet to the lowest resistance, and only after obtaining an external setting signal, e.g. power, resistance or inclination, should it move the magnets to the appropriate position.
The solution seems to be sending a low resistance or negative incline setting signal before starting the training (the low power signal does not work like this - a cadence is required for this). It seems that, for example, Zwift sets the trainers for riding in this way, but it can also be done from the level of, for example, Garmin Edge 1030/830/530 with new software - set a negative slope or low resistance.

Rixter

Postby Rixter » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:56 pm

I have the EXACT same problem. I'm riding on Rouvy.

Maybe helping to narrow this down:
    What virtual app are people riding?
    What communication protocol (BT / Ant+)?
    What do people do to break out of this mode?
    What firmware version of the XR?

I never had this problem with my first-gen Direto

Rixter

Postby Rixter » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:00 pm

How do I send a set a negative slope or low resistance from my Garmin? I have a 520 and 530. Thanks very much
prozorowicz wrote:In my opinion, this is a bug in the Direto XR software. After connecting to the power supply, the trainer should withdraw the magnet to the lowest resistance, and only after obtaining an external setting signal, e.g. power, resistance or inclination, should it move the magnets to the appropriate position.
The solution seems to be sending a low resistance or negative incline setting signal before starting the training (the low power signal does not work like this - a cadence is required for this). It seems that, for example, Zwift sets the trainers for riding in this way, but it can also be done from the level of, for example, Garmin Edge 1030/830/530 with new software - set a negative slope or low resistance.

jsti1000

Postby jsti1000 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Like outside. When you start riding you must stand up on pedals to start if you stop. Smart trainer will simulate that situation to. Isn't that awesome :)

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”