Direto XR problems with ERG mode

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

enesto

Direto XR problems with ERG mode

Postby enesto » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:36 am

Hi All,
I've bought new Direto XR few weeks ago (did not find the related discussion on this forum, so I'm writing here) and I'm experiencing some isseus when I try to use it to have workouts both in zwift and in Rouvy in ERG mode.
I'll try to explain the trainer behavior:

Zwift:
When I start a workout in ERG mode it's virtually impossible to keep a steady value for power. The values are scattering in order of +20 +20 watts even mantaining a quite stable cadence, around 80-85 strokes per minute.
Rouvy:
When I start any workout the trainer is really too hard to move, the pedals seem blocked. It's not a fact that I'm not so powerfull :) it's really to hard and it seems to me that, if I force, i can brake the unit. So I could not even start a test.

On both programs, the simulation mode on routes seems to work fine and the resistance is adjusted correctly when the slope is changing.
Trainer interfaced as controllable device via Bluetooth on both software

I made some power/time training in My Elite Training and I can pedal at the choosen power, like zwift, but there is anyway a scattering that I don't expect cause I'm having same gears and cadence...

No time today to have a longer test with MYETraining, but I will repeat it with longer intervals.

I've made a calibration (after more than 30 minutes of use), via MYETraining and I got the value of 6455 against 6457 written on the trainer (so I think the calibration is correct).
Reading some comments around I've the smoothing value set at 4.
For the rest the trainer is completely out of the box and not touched.

Any hints or suggestion are really appreciated.

Thanks.
Ernesto

Bologna
Italy
Last edited by enesto on Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jean-benoit

Re: Direto XR problems with ERG mode in Zwift and Rouvy

Postby jean-benoit » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi,

I use Zwift and I almost have the same issue including sometimes the one you have on Rouvy, just like if ERG was already enabled and no time to go to the expected power output

enesto

Postby enesto » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi,
At least I'm not alone :oops:
Btw I mitigated the scattering by raising to 10 the smoothing, but the values are still not stable... A little better, but far away from what I saw from other trainer on the web.
In Rouvy I tried to start a workout when I was already pedaling and, at least, I could start the program, having the same scattering in values.
Trying to investigate if using my external cadence sensor will help in some way.

Not really happy... I'm collecting some data and I'll send an email to support to see if I can get some suggestions.

Did you try something similar on yours?
Thanks!

jhankey

Postby jhankey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:52 pm

Hi, having the same problems out of the box.
I have only ridden on it twice since I have had it. In normal ride mode I noticed that the watts varied way more on the zwift screen than my previous trainer, which was a tacx vortex --- the Elite XR should be a different level. So riding on the flat I was seeing a constant 20 to 40 w variation.
So today I tried a an ERG training session that started out at 100w. ERG mode was on in zwift, it wasn't a free ride segment it was an erg controlled ramp up to 200w, it simply wasn't getting controlled properly. I'm using a pc with windows 10 and I guess a bluetoothc onnection. Gear combinations were on a 34T and the first 1 to 4 easy rings on the cassette, so no chance of over powering the trainer.
This trainer should work out of the box. I will investigate a little more tomorrow, but likely be returning it to the shop for a full refund. Disappointing as I have waited several weeks for the stock of this to come into the UK.
Also I tried a calibration on zwift, in mph it was a run down from 23mph... on several occasions it did this from half of this speed before runnign down from 23mph.
Similarly on the Elite app it says spin up to 33kmh but actually notifies to stop at 17kmh.
Something is seriously not right.
The trainer is super smooth and nice, and the build quality looks excellent.
Is there a fix for this, have issues been resolved?

Tried restarting, uninstalling / reinstalling zwift because of update today. Also had issue with the massive lock up at the start on zwift too!! , had to drop the chain to the easiest gear combo to get it to turn, then it eased of fairy quickly.

enesto

Postby enesto » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 am

Hi jhankey,
thanks for sharing your scenario that is quite similar to mine.
I'm still trying to figure out if I can get acceptable results and I keep testing with various settings.
I tried both Bluetooth and ANT+, and I cannot see differences.
I tried a simple test with interval 100-150-100-200-150-200 watts two minutes each, using both Zwift and after My Elite Training.

To keep my cadence as constant as possible I've set a metronome on my smartphone at 160bpm, so I can count one pedal left and right to get a steady value of 80 rpm ( I know this is barely touching the craziness but cyclist are strange people :D ).

Trainer was calibrated with My Elite app and I've set a smoothing of 10 (out of the box value of 2 was really too jumping). Default value of calibration under the trainer sticker is 6457, my value after calibration is 6454.
Trainer h as a "virtual" used distance of 240 km, so we can say it's brand new.

Gear used 34/16 or 34/14 (I'll try 34/18 next time).

Results:
-On both Zwift and MYeliteApp 100w interval cannot be mantained. The average is 90 and there is a big scattering in values
-Better results with 150w, a little bit more stable, but you can still see jumping value, even using a "metronomic" cadence between 79 and 82 bmp.
-Higher accuracy in the 200w range, but far away from other examples of different trainers (don't know if other trainers are smoothing with an algorithm their values, BTW the Direto is set up with smoothing at 10 , so we're actually smoothing values here)
-Transition from a level to another constantly requires about 10 seconds. Not so expert to say if it's an average value or not.

I'm logging all these activities in csv files and I will send them to support asking some additional hints.
Anyother suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Ernesto

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z7atYz1DbVcS1UU3A

jhankey

Postby jhankey » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:12 pm

Enesto, I watched both shane miller (aka lama) and dcrainmaker reviews on youtube. This should be working from the get go. As a keen cyclist and an electronics engineer I feel compelled like yourself to look in to the problem, but the £850 quid problem out of the box and my 15 day no argue consumer rights here in the uk say otherwise. Also not a lot of response on here from Elite, if I were them I would be all over this issue. It's not reasonable to have to apply that much effort for a solution and the average user just wouldn't have that level of skill set. I wish you good luck with your endeavours. Elite should simply be providing a replacement through your place of purchase.

If you have any luck from elite please post here as I am sure we have the same issue. If they can come up with a solution by wednesday it will save them a product return.

One other thing, what wheel circumference have you set in the App, and does that actually matter?

enesto

Postby enesto » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:23 am

Hi,
well, Elite found two engineers digging into their data... they could not find worts opponents :D :D

BTW you're right, or better you're 849€ times right!
DCrainmaker and Shane never pointed out this behavior in their reviews and customers want to have the same highlighted quality.

Preparing email to support adding some recordings to see if they can find a solution!
Keep this forum updated.

Thanks.

PS
I've set the default 2070 for wheel in MY Elite App, I did not try different values...

jhankey

Postby jhankey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:01 pm

Yep mine set to 2070... but not sure it matters to a system operating on power where speed is a consequence. ( unless for calculating a theoretical wheel speed )

jean-benoit

Postby jean-benoit » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:59 pm

In Zwift, can you do a screenshot/photo of the pairing screen ?

sjoyal

Postby sjoyal » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Same problem here in Zwift. :(

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”