Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

enesto

Re: Direto XR problems with ERG mode

Postby enesto » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:59 pm

067 last available on mine too...

enesto

Postby enesto » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:06 pm

jhankey wrote:Enesto, I will try this tomorrow also.
Did you have smoothing at 2 0r 10.
That graph looks totally acceptable.
In free ride mode I have really got to enjoy the response of the direto and it's feel. If this resolves the erg and erg control mode issues I will be massively happy.

Might even go try this now!!!

The picture is from a smooth = 6 on zwift.
I tested a smooth = 2 on MyET and it seemed better than before...
Today I'll try again with Smooth = 2 and Zwift...
Keep you posted...

Bye.
E.

jhankey

Postby jhankey » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Enesto, I dont think wheel size matters in zwift as it is only using the power data in erg mode to determine progress. the 2070 or 171 would only matter for certain cycling computers. I had a quick check of this yesterday and made no difference to me.
Smoothing does just that, it smooths the numbers a bit but adds a delay.... which I dont want.

In normal riding, I am now watching the road, just as you would do in the real world to anticipate changes. it works really well for me.

I have done an ERG test run with a ramp up from 130 watts to 200 watts. 200w for 5 minutes and a step to 250 watts. Keeping my cadence constant, and the cassette in small gears 34T 19-25...... it performed quite well. If cadence varies say from 90 to 85, power drops and them recovers within a few seconds adding a lot more resistance. If you drift down in cadence slowly it tracks better. I have been trying to concentrate on a steady spin rate , that I think is getting a better result. Any gear changes and the power momentarily steps but then settles down again with cadence.
On zwift in erg mode, ignore any warnings that zwift gives about more or less power, keep your cadence really even and the direto takes care of it. If you want to spin up by say 10 rpm, your generated power will increase, direto will show this, zwift will say reduce power.... but just stick at the new cadence and it all settles down quickly. I think it may well be that the direto is brutally honest and a lot of trainers are simply masking things by averaging numbers. The Elite guys may be right, but if this is the case it needs a little explanation. I also noticed that my cadence can change several times a second.... this probably is not helping the watt jitter.
It's not quite there yet though, you shouldn't have to keep your rpm within +/- 2 to keep the power level correct.

daday

Postby daday » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 am

I just registered only to let you know that I've got the same issue and i'm on Version 67 too...

. I think it may well be that the direto is brutally honest and a lot of trainers are simply masking things by averaging numbers.

if that were true either DC Rainmaker or Lamalab are machines when pedalling or set smoothing to a ridiculous level - isnt that right?

i do expect to have small variances -> otherwise there wouldnt be oval chain rings nor power measurement on both sides from other vendors. But those numbers seem a little off

I'd love to know why in their youtube videos both dc rainmaker and lamalab are on version 68 but we arent? Maybe someone somewhere forgot to click publish for the OTA Updates? :?

BelgianFlandrien

Postby BelgianFlandrien » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:23 pm

I contacted Elite via a support ticket to ask them about the 'exclusive' v068 firmware update for both DcRainmaker and GpLama.
This was the full response:
Good morning,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Concerning your request:
We are working to release a new update of the firmware as sooner as possible

Not much of an answer to my question, but I think we can assume they send out a special version of the XR to the reviewers which was able to already update to the new beta firmware. These guys are always brutally honest in their reviews, so im pretty sure this was without their knowledge?

But the good news is probably that if v068 gets released for everybody, our ERG problems will be fixed? :P

ilari.koivusalo

Postby ilari.koivusalo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi,

I just bought Direto XR trainer and I have Garmin ANT+ dongle on my PC, but My E-training wont recognize it.
Zwift and Rouvy does recognize it from my PC.

What kind of ANT+ dongle you are using who have successfully got connected your trainer to PC and My E-training?

enesto

Postby enesto » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:01 pm

jhankey wrote:Enesto, I dont think wheel size matters in zwift as it is only using the power data in erg mode to determine progress. the 2070 or 171 would only matter for certain cycling computers. I had a quick check of this yesterday and made no difference to me.
Smoothing does just that, it smooths the numbers a bit but adds a delay.... which I dont want.

In normal riding, I am now watching the road, just as you would do in the real world to anticipate changes. it works really well for me.

I have done an ERG test run with a ramp up from 130 watts to 200 watts. 200w for 5 minutes and a step to 250 watts. Keeping my cadence constant, and the cassette in small gears 34T 19-25...... it performed quite well. If cadence varies say from 90 to 85, power drops and them recovers within a few seconds adding a lot more resistance. If you drift down in cadence slowly it tracks better. I have been trying to concentrate on a steady spin rate , that I think is getting a better result. Any gear changes and the power momentarily steps but then settles down again with cadence.
On zwift in erg mode, ignore any warnings that zwift gives about more or less power, keep your cadence really even and the direto takes care of it. If you want to spin up by say 10 rpm, your generated power will increase, direto will show this, zwift will say reduce power.... but just stick at the new cadence and it all settles down quickly. I think it may well be that the direto is brutally honest and a lot of trainers are simply masking things by averaging numbers. The Elite guys may be right, but if this is the case it needs a little explanation. I also noticed that my cadence can change several times a second.... this probably is not helping the watt jitter.
It's not quite there yet though, you shouldn't have to keep your rpm within +/- 2 to keep the power level correct.

I'm with you 100%..
But I could not reach this stability in no one of my previous test (and I tested a lot :lol: :lol: :lol: ) using 2070.

I cannot explain, don't know if the estimated speed, influenced by wheel size, enters in some way into the power estimation.

Now, with "reduced" wheel size and smooth = 6, I can see acceptable results, far away from GPLama and DC, but better than before.

I'll get back to 2070 to make other comparison...(I'm training my brain more than my legs :D )....

Waiting for 068 FW, maybe it helps...

Cheers!

enesto

Postby enesto » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi,
Since last week, when I used upgrado, it said that no new firmware was available, but it showed the version, 067.
Today it only says that no firmware update, but I cannot check the version actually installed, and it stucks on the first page of the app...

Is anyone experiencing this with upgrado?

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201019_210447.jpg
Screenshot_20201019_210447.jpg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 25351 times

BelgianFlandrien

Postby BelgianFlandrien » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:24 am

Hmm, yes, same for me. They are definitely doing something in the background :|
No idea why we don't get a reply from an admin at this point..
Attachments
Upgrado.jpg
upgrado app ios
Upgrado.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 25344 times

daday

Postby daday » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:52 am

I'll check that tonight -to get a reply we could "report" one of our posts? :)

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”