Direto XR problems with ERG mode

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

guiperpt

Re: Direto XR problems with ERG mode

Postby guiperpt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:21 pm

mumhra wrote:1. Ramp test starts with 5 minutes of free ride and then 1 minute at 100W. Since i was not looking at wattages and only at RPM's in that first minute of 100W i was the entire time at approx 120W.

Most likely it means that the freewheel is moving too fast, and the trainer can't hold keep low power. Change into a lower gear when you need to hold such "low" power values. On ERG mode I'm always on the 36x23 and find it optimal.

jsti1000

Postby jsti1000 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:50 pm

I think that is the best erg mode explained,
https://youtu.be/LbeliW8uObk

mumhra

Postby mumhra » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:40 pm

guiperpt wrote:Most likely it means that the freewheel is moving too fast, and the trainer can't hold keep low power. Change into a lower gear when you need to hold such "low" power values. On ERG mode I'm always on the 36x23 and find it optimal.

True. But with my Qubo it would show that i was pushing 100 W although i was pushing more. Now it looks like i have to or lower the cadence or switch gears in order to drop the wattage. But at the same time they say that, when using ERG mode you should not shift and you should try and keep the cadence as solid as possible. If you don't it feels like you have to try and hit a moving target.

I have not yet counted the gearing i was in. I was on the small ring at the front and in the middle of the cassette at the rear. No idea what that exactly is but i will count them :)

edit : just counted. Looks like i was on 39x17. Yes, it is on older bike i use for indoor riding. Maybe i should change to a smaller gear next time.
Last edited by mumhra on Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumhra

Postby mumhra » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:48 pm

jsti1000 wrote:I think that is the best erg mode explained,
https://youtu.be/LbeliW8uObk

Yep, i watched that video. It is by far the best video explaining ERG mode.
Now listen to what Shane has to say from 0.54 to 1.01 in that video : "ERG mode will lock in a prescribed wattage and hold that resistance regardless of your cadence and regardless of the gearing that you are in"

So, if that is true, i should not be bothered with cadence. Just like with my Qubo i did not pay attention to cadence. I just cycled and the Qubo made sure i pushed the correct wattages. I could even shift up or down, did not make a difference at all. But now, with my new trainer i have to pay attention to the cadence in order for ERG mode to work properly. Feels like a step back imo.

Anyway, further down the video Shane is talking about attacking when the power goes up and riding out when the power goes down. I will try that later on today.

jsti1000

Postby jsti1000 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:05 pm

https://youtu.be/hlzYoeW5_W4
One more connection with direto erg mode mentioned.
Gear picking to do erg mode.

jsti1000

Postby jsti1000 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:11 pm

I agree. I had qubo elite digital smart b + to. But qubo had only 5% gradiant simulation. So it was not really fair to you. I mean that qubo didn't have power meter. So the power ridings wasn't real. Of course unless you had a power meter separately.

jsti1000

Postby jsti1000 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:23 pm

"The What and Why of ERG Mode | Zwift" https://www.zwift.com/news/1971-the-wha ... 0sprinting.

Manitou1974

Postby Manitou1974 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:23 pm

Hey Guys iám first time here and read this post. i get my direto xr for 3 weeks. now after some rides, i have the following problem with the ERG Mode.
when i using the erg Mode in zwift by 100 Watt or 200 Watt ,the erg mode working good . when i do a 5min. intervall higher 240watt, for example 300watt, the erg mode doesn´t work . in this 5 min. the erg mode bring me not to the 300watt.
my direto xr has teh firmare 073 and the code with the 4 numbers under the direto for calibrations ist right .

Anyone the same Problem??
until 200 watt the erg mode works fast and good. but only by higher power interval ,the erg mode not work

best regards

roman

jsti1000

Postby jsti1000 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Today I did workout on zwift erg mode On. DIRETO XR must say work pretty good on erg mode. It is jumpy but OST is really good power meter and it will show a lot more precise details. You can even manage the power ridings on advanced settings but I rather struggle to train on constant pedaling.

jsti1000

Postby jsti1000 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm writing this post because I don't want that Elite make any updates on this issue.
1.When you use work or erg mode you don't need to change gears
2.Use smaller crank in front and middle on back cassette
You only do back gear changes if you see that you pick wrong one at start. Trainer will guide you if you pedal to slow or to hard or you input to much power or to low...
3 Trainer will decrease or encrise the resistance itself upon the power target you should hold. Faster pedaling isn't goal. You have to listen your trainer how fast to pedal to fill the friction that erg mode provides. Like outside you have to fill the road. Speed isn't goal on erg mode. Holding power is. Yes it is hard:)

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”