Direto XR problems with ERG mode

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

marcobonini

Re: Direto XR problems with ERG mode

Postby marcobonini » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 pm

Good news here too! FoIlowing the post of Dwhight, I open a ticket with Elite because my Direto XR not holding desired watts in ERG mode at an established cadence. They sent me an EPROM update file to apply to the Direto and now there's no discrepancy between the workout set to Zwift and the and the behavior of the Direto.

I would like to thank the Elite support for the patience, availability and the kindness.
Thank you!

remo.gallipoli

Postby remo.gallipoli » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:02 pm

Ciao Marco,
i would ask you if elite has send to you a unique and dedicated file? i'm asking because i didn't understand if your direto xr had some issue or if this kind of behavior is totaly normal (because i have the same) and i can ask to Them (elite support) to send me the same file. did you send to them any data or additional information or it was enugh to ask them for help just describing the issue?

thanks in advance for your support
Remo

steve.hammatt

Postby steve.hammatt » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:57 am

remo.gallipoli wrote:i have the same) and i can ask to Them (elite support) to send me the same file. did you send to them any data or additional information or it was enugh to ask them for help just describing the issue?

Raise a support ticket with Elite and they will be able to look into your problem.

remo.gallipoli

Postby remo.gallipoli » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:50 pm

Done.... i will keep you posted! ;)

BB883

Postby BB883 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:49 pm

+1 Direto XR ERG mode no more usable with firmware 078 / HW revision 5 in zwift or Garmin...
ERG works but it seems there is a linearity problem between Power target and brake setup :
100W target request, I'm @ 80W under power (brake too low)
150W target request, I'm @ 150W ==> OK
200W target request, I'm @ 250W over power (brake too high)
300W target request, Need to provide more than 500W...
Changing cadence does not affect power output ==> Brake is reacting as it should... Just the target is not the right one !

Stange behaviour, sometimes corrected after several calibration in zwift ( :evil: ).
Tryed to calibrate from Elite App... same behaviour.

Elite self test (in App) seems to be OK... As advised in previous posts, I opened a case and hope to grab an old 074 working FW or any other FW that will solve this issue that seems Software related.

BB883

Postby BB883 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:07 pm

JSON update provided by Elite support within 48h (thanks) did not solved my case.
Still have linearity problems with a matching target / power around 175W.
Below 175W : Power < Target
Over 175W : Power > Target

+ trainer went crazy during the session in garmin after 4 minutes riding steady 250-265W target, brake increased... making me to increase power to more thant 330W...

Ticket updated, think my unit is defective. Would like to give a try to a good old 074 FW... I highly suspect the 078FW to cause all these problems.
Unfortunately, I did not used ERG mode since few weeks, so I can not be sure the firmware to be the cause of my problem.
Last edited by BB883 on Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BB883

Postby BB883 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:57 pm

Update with a clear example :
Problems always occurs at the beginning of an activity (Zwift, Garmin, Elite App).

Stop pedaling seems to reset offset and sometimes solve the issue.
Defective motor / brake ? Impacted by low temperature ?

filippo.spt

Postby filippo.spt » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Salve ho comprato da poco un rullo elite direto xr e non funziona in modalità erg cosa mi consigliate?

quixotic22

Postby quixotic22 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:30 pm

sebastien.desbiolles wrote:JSON update provided by Elite support within 48h (thanks) did not solved my case.
Still have linearity problems with a matching target / power around 175W.
Below 175W : Power < Target
Over 175W : Power > Target

+ trainer went crazy during the session in garmin after 4 minutes riding steady 250-265W target, brake increased... making me to increase power to more thant 330W...

Ticket updated, think my unit is defective. Would like to give a try to a good old 074 FW... I highly suspect the 078FW to cause all these problems.
Unfortunately, I did not used ERG mode since few weeks, so I can not be sure the firmware to be the cause of my problem.

I have the exact same issue starting the last few weeks.

I'm still on FW 73 as that's what my android suggests is the latest but will try to get an iphone to try upgrading. Not sure what to try as it is mightily annoying

jhankey

Postby jhankey » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:01 am

I have had an XR for 18 months now and raised some early comments on this thread.
I only use mine with zwift so I cant comment how it relates to other systems.
My first Direto I sent back as in erg mode I simply could not get it to track the power in ERG mode.
The second one was exactly the same .... that is when I found this forum and thread.
My previous trainer was a Tacx Vortex and the graph traces followed the prescribed power traces like square lego blocks.... this is totally unrealistic.
The amount of power variance is way more than you would believe. Not only that, but something like a Vortex was/is somewhat generous with it's power numbers so it is a bit of a bitter pill having to take a 10-20% hit on your power numbers that the direto is giving you.

When you follow a power block say at ftp, the power will vary quite a bit.. +/- 20W even if you are a comfortable at this wattage... if you have come from something like a vortex it is unlikley you will be comfortable at the ftp that the vortex said you had now that you are on the direto, so it is likely that you will see a larger power swing. It just means that you are not ready for that power for that much time.
I had to lower the expectation of myself somewhat.

The other thing is moving between power zones in ERG where there is a large difference. This took me a little while to work out. You can't actually pre-empt the power change. As you ride through the coloured arch pretty much keep pedalling as you were, it will take a second or 2 for the direto to apply the increased load. It does not do it in one hit and takes 3 or 4 seconds to bring it up by 200w. The best way I can explain it is to wait until you feel the load increasing and go with it by increasing your output. It use to take me more than 10seconds for the power to stabilise, now I can jump from say 100W to 350W within about 5seconds and have the power stable.

Other trainers give perfect looking graphs, it is documented in this thread and the Elite team will tell you as much, but they are just an adjusted output number so it looks pretty. if you can ride your direto at a certain power and get the graph to look fairly flat you are putting out an incredibly consistent power at that level with little cadence variation, riding very strongly indeed. The smoothing number in the calibration app effectively helps this but it also slows down the rate at which the numbers reflect changes, it doesn't actually affect the real numbers or what is going on.

As you get stronger the graphs from the direto will look smoother and often indicate whether something is too hard or too easy for you, it will make you a way stronger rider as you can see exactly how stable your output is.

I have just update firmware from 73 to 78 on Android without issue. A quick ride is showing that the reported power in erg is now more stable. It still shows some ripple, so not flat like a tacx or wahoo set up, but will feel like an improvement to most users. That said, the feel of the trainer seems to be the same and your actually wattage will be varying the same, just looking a little smoother on the screen.

My main reason for upgrading to 78 was to see if it resolves a problem with supertuck on zwift, I need to check that out tomorrow.

I am sure some on here will have genuine hardware or software issues that Elite need to resolve, but having worked with this for nearly 2 years I can say that the Direto has made me a way stronger rider in part because of it's brutal honesty with regard to power readings, unlike most other trainers.

With regard to calibration, the Zwift or any other third party calibration doesnt do anything as far as I am aware. Use the Elite app and check the number matches the calibration number on the underside of the Trainer. if this is more than 1 or 2 out, the belt tension requires adjustment.... I am sure there are links on this forum to the Elite site on how to do this. There is no Software offset for this as far as I know.

Return to “Direto, Direto X, Direto XR”