Slope Simulation: Calculation Method?

A virtual coach compatible with all Elite hometrainers

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

pbanders@yahoo.com

Slope Simulation: Calculation Method?

Postby pbanders@yahoo.com » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:44 pm

I have a Direto and I'm using My E-Training. I would like to accurately simulate climbs using My E-Training so that the power level required at any point on the climb is nearly the same as if I were actually riding it, in zero wind conditions. In order to do this, it is necessary to know the weight of the rider, the weight of the bicycle, the weight of clothing/shoes/water bottle, the rolling resistance coefficient of the tires, the drivetrain efficiency, and the dimensionless coefficient of aerodynamic drag of the rider in the climbing position on the bike. Knowing all of those factors, and the grade of the climb at each point, then the power required can be calculated and the smart trainer's resistance set.

How is Elite simulating slope, given that the only variable that Elite lets you set is rider weight? Is Elite just ignoring all of the other factors (i.e. bicycle and gear weight, aero drag, rolling resistance, and drivetrain losses), or is Elite using default values for these parameters in their calculation of the correct resistance to set for a particular slope? I can find no reference on Elite's support page or in external pages that describes what Elite is doing. Note that this question is applicable for all of Elite's trainers that use the slope functions in My E-Training, not just the Direto.

Thanks in advance for any description of how My E-Training is accomplishing this function.

Return to “My e-training”