Power Transition at the Beginning of an Interval

A virtual coach compatible with all Elite hometrainers

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

kevin970725

Power Transition at the Beginning of an Interval

Postby kevin970725 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:13 am

I use my Drivo for short high power intervals of about 8-10 seconds with 8-10 minutes of recovery at 30-40 watts. I've noticed that the power increases smoothly for a few seconds at the beginning of the work interval to transition from low power to high power. I can tack on a couple of seconds to the work interval to make up for the power transition but at the intensity I ride at the end of the work intervals can become death spirals. Is there a more accurate way to calculate the transition times besides trial and error?

Elite Admin S

Re: Power Transition at the Beginning of an Interval

Postby Elite Admin S » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 am

The delay you are experiencing when the resistance changes is due to:

a) the physical time required by the step motor to arrive in correct postion (Drivo has an internal step motor that moves a magnetic arm to adjust resistance); this time depends on how big is the power gap between the actual segment and the previous one (so, it also depends on speed). As you can understand, it's not possible to tell how many seconds it requires without knowing speed and power

b) the delay on the software instructions (the software has to acknowledge that the segment is changed, do its calculation, send the command to change resistance to the trainer; also this is a variable time

c) the delay in the transmission (especially if the communication is not good due to interference, a command may not arrive immediately to the trainer and the software may need to send it again; this will add some delay and it depends mainly on the software itself - some software are better than others)

As you can see, it's not possible to give you an answer unfortunately.

Return to “My e-training”