QUBO Digital Smart B+ Power settings?

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

ali

QUBO Digital Smart B+ Power settings?

Postby ali » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:29 pm

Question 1: Setting the power settings.
I weigh 99kgs + 11Kgs for bike, so 110kgs total weight. I use 700x38 tyres (MTB with road tyres). What would be a good estimate for P1,P2,P3 please. I realise that to calibrate accurately I need a power meter. However, like many people, I do not have one and do not want to buy one! I realise that I can enter the P1,P2 and P3 values using the specific elite windows software designed for this purpose - but don't know what would be a reasonable setting for me??

Question 2: Zwift
If I change the P1,P2,P3 settings to suit my weight, will these new Power values be used by Zwift? Or do I need to setup Zwift somehow for this trainer?

Elite Admin S

Re: QUBO Digital Smart B+ Power settings?

Postby Elite Admin S » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 pm

P1, P2, P3 doesn't depend on the weight of the rider.
Your weight is already taken into account (you've to set it in the user parameters).
If you think the simulation is not realistic, you can change the three values considering that:
- P1 refers to medium/high slopes. P2 to light slopes, P3 to flat road
- if the trainer brakes too much, you have to increase the values; if it brakes too little, decrease the values
- change values of 20-30 points at time, then try again a training; if necessary, repeat.

When you change the values, they will be written on the trainer. So, it will affect also Zwift and other third party apps and softwares.

Regards

ali

Postby ali » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Thanks.

I don't understand how rider weight does not relate to P1,P2, P3 settings? Surely if the default values are left un-changed, there would be the same resistance generated by this trainer for both a lightweight rider (55Kg) and a heavy rider (105Kg)?

Could I request a feature upgrade to firmware to provide some form of power calibration for this trainer from the elite app or software configuration utility. Similar to many of your customers I do not have a power meter and would like the trainer to be able to be calibrated without the use of a power meter - otherwise the power measurement and reading for this trainer must be inaccurate unless the rider profile happens to match the default P settings...

Other trainers have spin down tests and other ways for the rider to calibrate the trainer. Can this be implemented for this trainer also please as this is critical when being used for online environments such as Zwift, TR and more.

I am 100Kgs + 10Kgs (bike). I have P1=291, P2=298, P3=217 which is significantly different to the default P settings. I think this is close to being correct, but don't know!!

There needs to be an accurate calibration feature for this trainer to make it usable in Zwift.

Otherwise I am impressed with the performance so far :-)

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am

Weight IS important. But not to modify the power, only to calculate how much power you develop on a specific slope.

I'll try to explain better the situation.
Suppose that your trainer has a standard power curve. At 20km/h, with the max resistance, it can develop around 260W.
This max power is independent from the weight of the rider. It's due to the friction and the magnetic resistance of the brake.
But, 260W means around a 5% slope for a cyclist of 65kg. And it means around a 3% slope for a rider of 100kg.

So, weight is important for correct simulation.

Now, the calibration.
All the trainers are different one from the other. This is due to mechanical and magnetic tolerances.
As the trainer has not a power sensor inside, we've decided to calibrate them one by one to have as much precision as possible.
P1, P2 and P3 modifies the power map of the trainer to get close to the real situation.
So, they are used to minimize the tolerances effect.

Usually, Qubo Digital doens't require a calibration (we already did it here in our factory). But sometimes some external variables (width or material of the tire, pressure of the tire, particular hambient condition or other parameters...) can add an error between the real power and the calculated power, and simulation may be not accurate. Only in this case it is necessary to do a calibration.

Here an explication on how to manually modify the three values if necessary:
https://elitesrl.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... reto-Kura-

I hope now it is all more clear.

ali

Postby ali » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think that my trainer either had a problem in calibration at the factory, or perhaps it was an issue with Zwift? I weigh 97Kgs. If I use the default P1,P2,P3 settings, my speed in Zwift and power output is way inaccurate. I have had to set my trainer to:
P1=291
P2=298
P3=217

To get what 'feels' right. It is a shame that I do not know if this is accurate or not.....

ali

Postby ali » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 pm

I see that Zwift have made reference to this trainer in their recent update. Anyone know what the change is? Anyone notice anything feel different.....

The fixes in this update include:

Fix for large events w/multiple ride sweepers where the sweeper beacon could be seen differently by different users.
Fixed issue where 2011 MacBook Air machines would run at drastically reduced performance
Wide screen support expanded. UI elements should work nicer on 21:9 aspect ratio screens, 3 monitor setups, etc now. This also improves the HUD placement on iPhoneX
Fixed elevation gain issue with TechnoGym MyRun bluetooth treadmill
Fixed Viiii Ant+ -> Bluetooth bridge pairing for speed sensors on iOS
Fixed issue where some devices could cause slightly squashed or stretched images to be uploaded to Strava
Added auto-reconnection of bluetooth devices once returning to the Zwift app after swapping away on iOS and tvOS
Improved resistance feel of Qubo Digital Smart B+ trainer
Ensured running avatars more reliably start running around 4.2mph/6.8kph. Sometimes they could still be seen as walking
Concept2 BikeErg indoor bike over bluetooth should work more reliably now
Reduced network traffic between Zwift and Zwift Mobile Link app by nearly half to reduce issue some have reported with map and stats data being jumpy or incorrect

carlos.cancio

Postby carlos.cancio » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 am

The recently released zwift update adds a lot of resistance when connected thought BLE, now you will not run out of gears on the flats and the ride feels more realistic. Seems to me that there is still room to adjust the P settings to reflect an accurate output, but without a power meter that won't be possible.

velocedge

Postby velocedge » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:44 pm

The Zwift change made a huge difference in the resistance of the Elite trainer. Now in both ANT+ and BLE, the resistance is much stronger and a lot more realistic.

pedrosilverio28

Postby pedrosilverio28 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:33 pm

I have exactly the same doubt. will my digital Smart b+ it's well calibrated !!! my values ​​are totally different.
P1 171
P2 186
P3 155

What is the default factory numbers?

Elite Admin S

Postby Elite Admin S » Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 am

@pedrosilverio28,

your values are the default ones.
Ali's one are quite high to be honest. But it'd be necessary to investigate his specific situation to understand if they are correct.

Regards

Return to “Qubo Digital / Novo Smart”