Trainer almost locking up

General discussions on Elite trainers

Moderators: Elite Admin M, Elite Admin S

Prajna

Trainer almost locking up

Postby Prajna » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:56 am

I’ve had my Elite Tuo for almost a month.

Sometimes I feel that it almost locks up and I can barely rotate the pedals. Even if I put all my strength and stand on the bike it will barely turn.

I know trainers are designed to put more pressure at times, but this seems excessive.

For my FTP test, for example, (I did the 1:15h one), the 20moniyes after warm up were entirely like this. I had to get off three times, as it was almost impossible for me to continue. I am not a weak rider.
It also happens during some hills, where the elevation is barely any. It happened in ‘Richmond’ yesterday.

Is this normal?

On another question: do we change gears while riding or does it make it lose its settings? (It has also happened when I tried changing gears, but it happens even if I keep the same one the entire ride).

Thank you!!

Prajna

Elite Admin S

Re: Trainer almost locking up

Postby Elite Admin S » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:40 am

Hi

The FTP test is all with no resistance on the trainer, so it's quite strange.
Do you mean that resistance grows all on a sudden?
Or the trainer is hard even when resistance is zero?

Run my e-training and select level mode.
Pedal at constant speed and increase gradually the level.
Do you feel the resistance change?

Can you tell me which offset value you got at the end of your last calibration?

Regards

anthony_peruzzo

Postby anthony_peruzzo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:59 pm

I just did an FTP test today in ERG mode, and if you loose your cadence in zwift, erg mode progressively gets harder, which sounds like what you are running into. I had to pause my test let erg mode get disabled, then restart at the highest cadence I could get to-- around 80-90. I think this is pretty standard in how zwift works in erg mode.

Prajna

Postby Prajna » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi.

Thank you for your reply. I am feeling quite lost with the trainer, as this keeps on happening.

I got 208 on my last FTP. But each practice I lower it to around 150, as I'm afraid of it happening again.

The resistance increased suddenly. I literally could barely pedal, even if standing and putting all my force into it.

The only way I seem to be able to resolve it is to stop completely, wait a while, then start pedaling at super high cadence. Then the 'lock' seems to release and I can train again.

This seems to happen if I stop pedaling for any amount of time, even seconds. And sometimes out of a sudden.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

I haven't found where to do the level mode. I am using ZWift, as this is what my coach uses with all of us.

Thank you!

Return to “Trainers general discussion”